|Born||Ang Choon Leng
1973 (age 43–44)
|Known for||Photography, visual arts|
John Clang, born Ang Choon Leng (Chinese: 汪春龙; pinyin: Wāng Chūnlóng), is a New York-based Singaporean photographer and visual artist. Clang's work has been exhibited in galleries and museums worldwide. National Museum of Singapore and Singapore Art Museum acquired his artwork as part of their permanent collection.
Clang was born Ang Choon Leng (汪春龙) in Singapore. He earned his moniker while in the National Service in Singapore as his badge read C L Ang. At age 17 he enrolled in Lasalle College of the Arts in Singapore to study fine arts but left after six months to assist fine-art photographer Chua Soo Bin, who received the Cultural Medallion in 1988.
Clang's work explores the commonplaces, mundane subject matters and common nuances that closely relate to our daily life. His work betrays his fascination with time, space and how one negotiate the human existences with these dimensions.
The Land of My Heart (2014) is a series of work which re-appropriates the icon of the Singapore Girl, Singapore Airlines’ air stewardess, to contemplate on vestiges of identity and personal memories encapsulated in nostalgic spaces of a rapidly evolving motherland.
Clang started on the series by photographing his own family in 2010. From 2010 to 2012, he located Singaporeans around the world and travelled to cities such as London, Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Los Angeles and Seattle to photograph these sitters with their families in Singapore. These forty family portraits were exhibited with his other works in the National Museum of Singapore in January 2013.
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2001 Backs, DVF studio, New York City
- 2003 They Were in Color: 4 June 2001 – 27 January 2002, Galerie Colette, Paris, France
- 2003 Fear of Losing the Existence, Bank Art Gallery, Los Angeles, USA
- 2004 Clang. A Self Portrait, Jendela Gallery/The Esplanade, Singapore
- 2007 Clang: A White Book, The Substation, Singapore
- 2010 Con(Front), 2902 Gallery, Singapore
- 2012 John Clang: Self Reflection, Pékin Fine Arts, Beijing, China
- 2013 Being Together: Family & Portraits – Photographing with John Clang, National Museum of Singapore, Singapore
- 2013 When I say you are dreaming, so am I, 2902 Gallery, Art Stage Singapore, Singapore
- 2014 (Re)Contextualizing My Mind, Pékin Fine Arts, Hong Kong.
Selected group exhibitions
- 1993 Critical Framework, 5th Passage Gallery, Singapore
- 2002 Porn?, Proud Galleries, London, UK
- 2002 Fascination, Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
- 2009 (super)natural, The Tobacco Warehouse, Brooklyn, New York City
- 2009 TransportAsian, Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
- 2010 Through the Looking Glass, Annexe Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2010 Through the Looking Glass, 2902 Gallery, Singapore
- 2010 HIDEntities, mc2gallery, Milan, Italy
- 2010 2nd Dali International Photography Festival, Human : Nature, Dali, Yunan, China
- 2010 Human Faces, National Museum of Singapore, Singapore
- 2010 The 2010 Sovereign Asian Art Prize, Artspace@Helutrans, Singapore
- 2011 The Open Daybook Exhibition, Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions (LACE), Los Angeles, USA
- 2011 ANGSANA: Southeast Asian Photographers Taking Flight, 2902 Gallery, Singapore
- 2011 The 2010 Sovereign Asian Art Prize, The Rotunda, Exchange Square, Hong Kong
- 2011 NOW or NEVER, ION Art Gallery, Singapore
- 2011 What's Next 30 x 30 Creative Exhibition, The OCT Art & Design Gallery, Shenzhen, China
- 2011 What's Next 30 x 30 Creative Exhibition, ArtisTree, Hong Kong
- 2011 Not Too Far Away, 2902 Gallery, Singapore
- 2012 The 2011 Sovereign Asian Art Prize, The Sands Expo and Convention Center, Singapore
- 2012 Crossing SEA(s), 2902 Gallery, Singapore
- 2012 I See China, Pékin Fine Arts, Beijing, China
- 2012 Paper Moon, KSU Art Museum, Kennesaw, USA
- 2012 Venti d'Oriente, mc2gallery, Milan, Italy
- 2012 W I T H ( O U T ), Brockspace, London, UK 
- 2013 Zoological, 2902 Gallery, Singapore 
- 2013 Ghost, Sculpture Square, Singapore
- 2014 Family Matters, Centre for Contemporary Culture Strozzina, Florence, Italy
- 2014 Anthropos New York, Sundaram Tagore, New York, USA
- 2014 Afterimage: Contemporary Photography from Southeast Asia, Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
- 2014 Asuntos domésticos, Sala exposiciones Diputación de Huesca, Spain 
- 2014 War Room, Pékin Fine Arts Hong Kong 
On 19 November 2010, John Clang became the first photographer in Singapore to receive the Designer of the Year award at the annual President's Design Award. The President's Design Award is the most prestigious design accolade in Singapore.
- I See China at Pékin Fine Arts
- mc2gallery – HIDEntities Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- National Museum of Singapore – Human Faces
- John Clang at The National Museum of Singapore
- Her World, June 2010
- National Online Repository of the Arts
- The Sunday Times[permanent dead link]
- NY Times
- The Atlantic
- Being Together at the National Museum of Singapore
- Lens Culture
- A review by Boonscafe
- The Straits Times
- The Philanthropic Museum
- Art Stage Singapore
- Pékin Fine Art - Press Release Archived 4 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- MZH Photo Gallery – NY Photo Festival 2009 Archived 19 March 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Human Faces – National Museum of Singapore Archived 4 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- What's Next 30 x 30 Creative Exhibition
- What's Next 30 x 30 Creative Exhibition
- I See China
- Review of Paper Moon by ArtsATL Archived 18 September 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Art Rabbit
- Art Info
- for Contemporary Culture Strozzina
- Sundaram Tagore Gallery Chelsea
- Singapore Art Museum
- Asuntos domésticos Archived 3 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.artinasia.com/galleryDetail.php?catID=1&galleryID=2790&view=7&eventID=26120 Pékin Fine Arts - War Room Press Release
- Channel NewsAsia
- President's Design Award Singapore 2010