John Clarke (dean of Wells)
He was born on 20 February 1952 and attended West Buckland School, Hertford College, Oxford and Edinburgh University. After a period of study at Edinburgh Theological College he was ordained in 1977. His career began with a curacy at The Ascension, Kenton, Newcastle, after which he was precentor of St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth, then the information officer and communications advisor to the General Synod of the Scottish Episcopal Church. From 1989 to 1996 he was vicar of St Mary, Battersea, then principal of Ripon College Cuddesdon and finally (before his appointment to the deanery) a residentiary canon at Lincoln Cathedral.
As part of his duties as dean of Wells Cathedral he is also chairman of the governors at Wells Cathedral School.
- Official notification of appointment
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford's Clerical Directory2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Church web site
- Debrett's People of Today London, 2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- "The Church Commissioners". Church of England. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
|Church of England titles|
|Dean of Wells
2004 – 2015