John Conner (American football)
Conner in 2011
June 8, 1987|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||245 lb (111 kg)|
(West Chester, Ohio)
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 5 / Pick: 139|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
John Edward Conner (born June 8, 1987) is a former American football fullback. Conner earned a 2009 College Football All-America Team selection and was one of the best fullback prospects in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was drafted in the fifth round by the New York Jets. He is nicknamed "The Terminator" because of the name he shares with the main character from the popular movie franchise and because of his aggressive blocking style against defensive players.
High school career
Conner attended Lakota West High School in West Chester, Ohio, where he was a two-year starter at running back. He rushed for 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns, averaging 6.3 yards per carry, as a senior. That year, Lakota West gained an 8–3 record and a berth in the state playoffs. Conner was subsequently named first-team All-Greater Miami Conference and honorable-mention All-Southwest Ohio.
Unrecognized as a prospect by the two major recruiting services, Rivals.com and Scout.com, Conner was not offered an athletic scholarship, although he received some recruiting attention from Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Illinois, among others. He eventually chose to walk on with the Kentucky Wildcats.
As a true freshman at Kentucky, Conner appeared in the first three games of the 2005 season on special teams before sustaining a season-ending injury. He received a medical redshirt and retained the year of eligibility.
In his redshirt freshman season, Conner played in all 13 games, starting the first three at fullback. In his sophomore year he also played all 13 games, starting four. He scored four touchdowns and also made two tackles in kick coverage.
By his junior year, Kentucky frequently opened with a fullback in the lineup, giving him 11 starts in 13 games. In a game versus Georgia, Conner set career highs with seven rushes for 26 yards.
Prior to his senior season, Conner was named the "best blocking back" in the Southeastern Conference in the Birmingham News 2009 preseason edition. After a solid performance throughout the season, Conner earned All-American honors by Pro Football Weekly, which places an extra premium on talent and draft value in the selection process.
2010 NFL Draft
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 1⁄8 in
|8 1⁄2 in
|4.64 s||1.56 s||2.60 s||4.32 s||7.15 s||35 in
|9 ft 3 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
New York Jets
He does all the things that NFL teams ask their fullbacks to do. He blocks. He catches the ball. And when you need him to make a carry in short yardage, he almost always picks up first downs. He's going to have a long career in the league.
In 2012, Conner struggled with an MCL sprain and hamstring injury, and was released by the Jets on October 17.
Conner was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals on December 15, 2012, after the team placed fullback Chris Pressley on the injured reserve list. Conner was released by the Bengals on August 31, 2013. In an episode of Hard Knocks, Bengals coaches stated that though Conner was the best Fullback on the roster, they were keeping Orson Charles due to his special teams play, even going as far as showing Charles game film of Conner after the decision.
New York Giants
After working out with the Buffalo Bills, Conner was signed to a two-year contract by the New York Giants on September 25, 2013, replacing Henry Hynoski, who suffered a fractured shoulder in Week 3 of the regular season.
Second stint with the New York Jets
- "NFL Draft - 2010 FB Draft Prospects", CBSSports.com, retrieved January 8, 2010
- Vaught, Larry (December 22, 2009), "UK Football: Conner named All-American", Danville Advocate[permanent dead link]
- "John Conner Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- "John Conner Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com.
- Cosby, Chip (September 24, 2009), "Cats to try fullback Conner at tight end", Lexington Herald-Leader
- Vorkunov, Mike (17 October 2012). "Jets reach injury settlement with John Conner". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 18 October 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- http://www.bengals.com/news/transactions.html Retrieved August 31, 2013
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-28. Retrieved 2013-09-25. Retrieved September 25, 2013
- Slater, Darryl (September 30, 2014). "Jets re-sign John 'The Terminator' Conner to replace Tommy Bohanon, who goes on injured reserve". NJ.com. Archived from the original on October 1, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Brown, Chris (May 13, 2015). "Free agent FB John Conner signs with Bills". Buffalo Bills. Archived from the original on May 14, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Brown, Chris (September 4, 2015). "Leodis McKelvin to Reserve/NFI as Bills release 16". BuffaloBills.com. Retrieved September 14, 2015.