John Cranch Walker Vivian
Vivian was the second son of the Lieutenant-general Sir Richard Hussey Vivian and his first wife Eliza De Crespigny, daughter of Philip Campion De Crespigny. Born at the Château de Rosamel in Frencq, France, he was educated at Eton College and joined the 11th Hussars as cornet in February 1836. He became a lieutenant in December 1837, captain in April 1840 and retired in 1842. Vivian was a Deputy Lieutenant and JP for Cornwall.
Vivian was elected Member of Parliament for Penryn and Falmouth in July 1841 and held the seat until July 1847. He was elected MP for Bodmin in April 1857 and held the seat until May 1859, when he stood unsuccessfully at Truro. At the 1865 general election he was elected Member of Parliament for Truro and he held the seat until 1871. He was appointed a Lord of the Treasury in December 1868, holding office until 1870 when he was appointed Financial Secretary to the War Office. He held that office until 1871 when he was appointed Under-Secretary of State for War, thereby vacating his seat.
Vivian married firstly in 1840 Louisa Woodgate, daughter of Henry Woodgate. She died in 1855 and he married secondly in 1861 Florence Grosvenor Rowley, daughter of Major Rowley of the Bombay Cavalry. They were divorced in August 1869 after she eloped with the Marquess of Waterford.
- "In Memoriam". The Cornishman (48). 12 June 1879. p. 4.
- The Gentleman's Magazine. R. Newton. 1818. p. 463.
- Debretts House of Commons and the Judicial Bench 1870
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "P" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- London Gazette, 18 December 1868.
- London Gazette, 29 August 1871
- London Gazette 15 September 1871.
- London Gazette, 4 November 1879.
- "Wills and Bequests". Nottinghamshire Guardian. 23 May 1879. Retrieved 3 December 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- "The Elopement of Mrs. Vivian with the Marquess of Waterford". Nottinghamshire Guardian. 19 March 1869. Retrieved 3 December 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (. ))
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Vivian
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Edward John Hutchins
James William Freshfield
|Member of Parliament for Penryn & Falmouth
With: James Hanway Plumridge
|Member of Parliament for Bodmin
With: James Wyld
Sir Frederick Williams, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Truro
With: Sir Frederick Williams, Bt
Sir Frederick Williams, Bt