|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (June 2010)|
Photographer and published author John Crippen has been recognized by multiple publications, magazine covers, and books. Crippen holds a degree in Psychiatric Technology as well as another in Liberal Arts from Cuesta College in San Luis Obispo, California. Crippen is primarily self-taught in photography, but adds his training in psychology and writing to create a style of his own. His writing and images have been seen in almost 40 countries by way of the PSA Magazine. (Photographers Society of America)
Awards in visual arts include the California Mid-State Photo Contest in which he has placed in professional divisions in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Born in 1967 and the youngest of five children, John Crippen was raised by a single income family. His Father, George Crippen, was a plasterer and did not retire until the age of 72. Coming from a family with very little income to spare, Crippen's family was encouraged to enjoy the simple things in life such as nature, hiking, boating, and fishing. His connection with nature has had a tremendous influence to his photography, writing, and hand drawn artwork. Crippen still enjoys the simple things in life such as hiking and boating. His loved ones have also been influential and supportive of his work.
Accomplishments and awards
Combining his Talents, John Crippen has written 7 books in various genres including photography how-to, travel, psychology, humor, and a graphic novel based on classic mythology. His books have been sold throughout the United States by Amazon as well as through his own store. Along with his books, John Crippen has published articles on a multitude of subjects including the Tesla Roadster, Elephant Seals on San Simeon, The 2009 Amgen Tour of California, Deterioration of health care, and poverty in the United States. Many of the articles have been published through his own column on Newsvine.com as well as in local and internationally written publications.
Crippen has been involved in several fundraisers in conjunction with local chambers of commerce, The National Wildlife Association, Atascadero Land Preservation Society, Sober Graduations, and several other causes. Crippen has also donated books to libraries across the nation and actively encourages young people to pursue their love of arts. He has volunteered time to local businesses as well. His memberships include the Photographer Society of America, National Geographic Society, Audubon Society, News Vine, Atascadero Art Association, and several local chambers. The majority of John Crippen's photography has taken place on the Central Coast, But he has also shot in San Diego, Catalina, San Francisco, Yosemite, Hawaii, Mexico, and the Fanning Islands.
In August 2009, Crippen founded the "Cameras For Kids" project. The website and book were created to teach children about digital photography through simple terms, examples, and icons. He has also visited schools and taught 30 minute presentations to children of varying ages. The program was designed will multiple goals in mind. Teaching children is first, but the program also instructs parents and teachers on how to approach children with a digital camera. There is a special page on the site devoted to educators and parents for this purpose. Tips on writing grants as well as lesson plans are also available. The Cameras For Kids Program was also designed to teach children about animals, nature, and green sciences. The book won a 2010 national bronze award from Reader's Favorite.
- Photography Using Examples From The California Central Coast - ISBN 978-1-4382-5111-0 - OCLC Number 297548172
- Animal Portraits With The Digital Photography Of John Crippen - ISBN 978-1-4382-4959-9 - OCLC Number 297457272
- Visual Guide To Wineries and Hotels of the Central Coast] - ISBN 978-1-4421-7066-7 - OCLC Number 438945338
- Cameras For Kids, Fun and Inexpensive Projects for the Little Photographer - ISBN 978-1-4495-0235-5 - OCLC Number 557660697
- The Sweet Smell of ASH in the morning (an interview about a funny book on Atascadero State Hospital) - ISBN 978-1-4421-7614-0 - OCLC Number 540635663
- Tesla Motors, in Newsvine
- Poverty, A Disease Spreading Across America, in News Talk
- Monarch Butterflies, on the Cameras For Kids Website
- Fanning Islands, on the Cameras For Kids Website
- The Amgen Tour of California comes to Paso Robles, 2009
- July 2009, National Photo Awards, 1st place
- National Geographic Photo of the Day February 25th, 2010
- Readers Favorite: Book Reviews and Award Contest - Cameras For Kids: Fun and Inexpensive Projects for the Little Photographer (Volume 1)