John D'Agostino (financial services)
|Residence||New York City, United States|
|Alma mater||Harvard Business School, Oxford University, Williams College|
|Occupation||Managing Director, DMS Offshore
Founder, Dagger Consulting LLC
John Joseph D'Agostino is an American business executive and entrepreneur. Currently, D'Agostino is a Managing Director at the world's largest fund governance firm DMS Offshore, where he also serves on the board of hedge funds providing independent oversight. He was previously a managing director at Alkeon Capital Management, a multibillion-dollar registered investment adviser. Prior to this, D'Agostino was known primarily for his involvement in the early development of the Dubai Mercantile Exchange.
His story was the focus of the book Rigged, the True Story of an Ivy League Kid who Changed the World of Oil by New York Times best-selling author Ben Mezrich. Summit Entertainment acquired the screen rights to Rigged and the book has been optioned for film adaptation.
D'Agostino was featured in "The Startup of You" by Reid Hoffman in 2012. He is the founder of Dagger LLC, a strategic consulting and advisory services. He is also a frequent speaker at conferences and meetings on business topics such as negotiation, markets, and hedge funds.
D'Agostino grew up in a working-class family in Brooklyn, New York. He earned a scholarship to attend Regis High School and subsequently Williams College for his BA degree. He studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Oxford University, and obtained his MBA from Harvard Business School.
After graduating from Harvard Business School, D'Agostino joined the New York Mercantile Exchange where he helped transition the floor to electronic trading. He became the exchange's youngest Head of Strategy and led the effort to create the Dubai Mercantile Exchange in partnership with the Dubai Government. D'Agostino's efforts led to the development of the first Middle East commodity derivatives exchange, which laid the foundations for accelerating the development of capital markets in the region.
D'Agostino has written case studies used by Harvard University and has been a guest lecturer for INSEAD University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 2012, he was a speaker at the Australian Davos Forum in Hayman Island, Australia. He also guest lectured for the United States Navy on the topic of "financial exchange expansion as an indicator of shifting political power" and advised the Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing on its successful $1.3 billion acquisition of the London Metal Exchange.
Depictions in media
In 2007, his story became the focus of the book Rigged, the True Story of an Ivy League Kid who Changed the World of Oil by Ben Mezrich. The book was published in 2008 in United Kingdom with a slight variation in the title as Rigged, The True Story of a Wall Street Novice who Changed the World of Oil Forever.
According to the author's note, D'Agostino was initially reluctant for the book to be written and author Ben Mezrich convinced D'Agostino by using a pseudonym, changing the name of the primary character to David Russo. The book appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list for one week in 2007 and another in 2008. Summit Entertainment acquired the screen rights to Rigged.
D'Agostino was mentioned in a book by Wall Street journalist Leah McGrath Goodman titled - The Asylum: Inside the Rise and Ruin of the Global Oil Market published in 2011. The book, written as an exposé, traces the New York Mercantile Exchange's transformation from an obsure market specializing in commodity futures in the 1960s to its modern-day venue as the world's energy exchange.
In 2012, D'Agostino was featured in the book The Start-up of you by Linkedin founder and Chairman Reid Hoffman. The book highlights lessons from Silicon Valley's most innovative entrepreneurs.
- "John D'Agostino joins DMS Offshore Investment as managing director". Reuters. May 5, 2015. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "John D'Agostino - DMS Offshore Investment Services Ltd". DMS Offshore. May 5, 2015. Retrieved March 6, 2016.
- "DMS Appoints John D'Agostino as Managing Director". PR Newswire. May 5, 2015. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Evolving Markets from Brooklyn to Dubai" (PDF). BB Publications. June 18, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "Dubai School of Government". Government of Dubai. June 18, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "KPMG". EB5info.com. June 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Fleming, Michael. "Summit acquired Mezrich's 'Rigged'". Variety. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Reid Hoffman". mashable.com. March 15, 2012. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- "Harvard Kid Bets on Oil, Builds Dubai Exchange, Guzzles Cristal". Bloomberg. November 27, 2007. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Ben Mezrich: Based on a True Story". Boston Magazine. March 15, 2008. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Dagger Consulting LLC". Dagger LLC. March 15, 2008. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Energy Risk Asia Awards 2008, Exchange of the Year - Dubai Mercantile Exchange" (PDF). Energy Risk. March 15, 2008. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "John D'Agostino". USC Center on Public Diplomacy. November 27, 2007. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Speaker Announcement". Australia Davos Forum. July 16, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Mezrich, Ben (October 23, 2007). Rigged, the True Story of an Ivy League Kid who Changed the World of Oil. HarperLuxe. p. 1. ISBN 9780061252723.
- New York Times. Hardcover Business Best Sellers
- New York Times Best Sellers, Paperback NonFiction
- The secret group setting the price of oil: Us., Fortune
- The Asylum: The Renegades Who Hijacked the World's Oil Market , Goodreads
- Hoffman, Reid (February 14, 2012). The Start-up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career. Crown Business. p. 149. ISBN 978-0307888907.
- Book Review: The Start-up Of YOU, Forbes