John D. Kerfoot
|John David Kerfoot|
|Mayor of Dallas, Texas|
|Preceded by||William L. Cabell|
|Succeeded by||William L. Cabell|
July 1, 1835|
Clark County, Virginia
|Died||March 31, 1903
Mullins Crossing, Tom Green County, Texas
|Resting place||Oak Cliff Cemetery, Dallas, Texas|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Eliza Carr|
|Children||Franklin Kerfoot, May Kerfoot, Katherine Kerfoot, Randolph T. Kerfoot, Virginia Kerfoot, Helen Kerfoot, Ruth Kerfoot, Emily Kerfoot|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia|
|Occupation||Lawyer, Justice of the Peace, Insurance|
|Service/branch||Co. D, 6th Virginia Cavalry|
John David Kerfoot (July 1, 1835 – March 31, 1903), attorney and businessman, was mayor of Dallas (1876–1877).
John D. Kerfoot was born July 1, 1835 in Clark County, Virginia to Franklin James Kerfoot and Harriet E. Webb. He married Harriet E. Carr on April 30, 1867 in Fauquier County, Virginia. They had eight children.
He first moved to Texas in 1855 where he set up a law practice. When the Civil War broke out, he returned to his native state. There he enlisted in the 6th Virginia Cavalry on August 24, 1861 at Camp Onward for one year. He re-enlisted for "2 yrs or War" on March 18, 1862. At the end of the war, he was paroled at Winchester, Virginia on April 21, 1865.
In 1869, he was elected as Presiding Justice for Dallas County and re-elected in 1873. In 1876 he was elected mayor of Dallas.
He organized and headed the insurance firm Kerfoot and Hereford. He was involved in the organization of The Association of Fire Underwriters of Texas in 1882 and served as vice-president in its first year. In 1891 he helped to organize of the Texas Local Fire Underwriters' Association.
John Kerfoot moved to Tom Green County, where he died on March 31, 1903. He was interred at Oak Cliff Cemetery in Dallas.
- Dee Ann Buck (compiler). Fauquier County, Virginia marriages Vol. 1854-1880. Fairfax, Va. : D.A. Buck
- Voter Registration of 1867-1869, Vol 6 (Chambers County) to Vol 8 (Dallas County). Reel 3 (microfilm) Dallas County, No. 1327
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Virginia. NARA Publication No. M324. Surname K.
- Randolph B. Campbell. Grass-roots reconstruction in Texas, 1865-1880. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1997. pp. 86, 92.
- City Directories for Dallas, Texas. Jennings Bros, 1878. p. 37-38, 205
- The Southern insurance directory for 1887. New Orleans: Brown & Janvier, 1887. pp. 300-301
- The Annual cyclopedia of insurance in the United States 1893-1894. H.R. Hayden (editor, p. 526 (accessed on Google Books on December 3, 2010)