John Dalrymple, 14th Earl of Stair
Stair is the eldest child of John Dalrymple, 13th Earl of Stair and Davina Katherine Bowes-Lyon (born 2 May 1930), daughter of David Bowes-Lyon, brother of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. Educated at Harrow School & RMA Sandhurst, Lord Stair's mother, Davina, therefore, is a first cousin of The Queen and he is a second cousin of The Prince of Wales, The Princess Royal, The Duke of York, and The Earl of Wessex.
On inheriting his peerage in 1996, Lord Stair entered the House of Lords and sat as a crossbencher—that is, an independent. In 1999, the House of Lords Act removed the rights of all hereditary peers to sit in the House; however, ninety-two peers were permitted to remain in the House, elected by other peers. He failed to be elected at that time. Following the death of Davina Ingrams, 18th Baroness Darcy de Knayth in 2008, Lord Stair was elected to the Lords, on, 13 October 2011, he made a speech in the Aviation Debate.
Lord Stair married Emily Mary Julia Stonor, daughter of Ralph Stonor, 7th Baron Camoys and Elizabeth Mary Hyde Parker, in 2006.
They have three children:
- John James Thomas Dalrymple, Viscount Dalrymple (born 3 January 2008) 
- Lady Elizabeth Alice Mary Lily Dalrymple (born 24 July 2012) 
- The Honorable Harry David Fergus Dalrymple (6 April 2015)
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Stair
- "John David James Dalrymple, 14th Earl of Stair" at The Peerage
|Peerage of Scotland|
John Aymer Dalrymple
|Earl of Stair