John David Lewis
John David Lewis (March 17, 1955 – January 3, 2012) was a political scientist, historian and Objectivist scholar who held the post of visiting associate professor in the Philosophy, Politics and Economics Program at Duke University from 2008 to 2012, as well as Associate Professor of Business at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Lewis was also an Anthem Fellow for Objectivist Scholarship. Lewis received his PhD in classical studies at Cambridge University in 2001, with the dissertation, Solon’s Polis as Kosmos: Intellectual, Moral and Political Integration in Archaic Athens. He taught at the University of London from 2000-2001. From 2001 to 2008, he was a professor in the History and Political Science Department at Ashland University, where contention surrounding his promotion to tenured professor drew national attention. Lewis was a member of the American Political Science Association, the Association of Ancient Historians, the Society for Military History, the American Philological Association, and the Cambridge Philological Society. Lewis published three books, was a contributing editor to The Objective Standard and contributed to Capitalism Magazine and contributed to multiple publications including Journal of Business Ethics, Social Philosophy and Policy, Polis, Dike, and Bryn Mawr Classical Review. Lewis frequently spoke at Objectivist conferences and Tea Party events. He also spoke on the morality of free markets in medicine, arguing that innovators ought to be freed from unnecessary regulation. Lewis died on January 3, 2012 after a long battle with cancer. He was 56.
- Nothing Less than Victory: Decisive Wars and the Lessons of History (Princeton University, March, 2010)
- Solon the Thinker: Political Thought in Archaic Athens (Duckworth Press, 2006) (pb. edn. 2008)
- Early Greek Lawgivers (Bristol Classical Press, August, 2007)
- "John David Lewis". The Objective Standard. 2007-04-24. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "John David Lewis Ph.D". Johndavidlewis.com. 2010-05-10. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "John David Lewis Ph.D. | C.V". Johndavidlewis.com. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "Tenure Shrugged"."Bias and Thought Policing on All Sides"."Ashland University: No Objectivists Need Apply"."Ashland University: Professor Denied Tenure Because of Objectivist Scholarship"."Faith and Reason: Friends or Foes?".
- Biddle, Craig. "John David Lewis: A Man Who Lived". www.theobjectivestandard.com. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- "In Memoriam: John David Lewis, 1955-2012". January 5, 2012. Retrieved January 5, 2012.