John Eccles, 2nd Viscount Eccles
|The Right Honourable
The Viscount Eccles
|Born||20 April 1931|
|Spouse(s)||Diana Eccles, Viscountess Eccles|
|Children||The Hon. Alice Eccles
The Hon. William Eccles
The Hon. Catherine Eccles
The Hon. Emily Eccles
|Alma mater||Magdalen College, Oxford|
|Occupation||Peer and Businessman|
John Dawson Eccles, 2nd Viscount Eccles, CBE (born 20 April 1931) is a British Conservative peer and businessman. He is one of the ninety hereditary peers elected to remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999.
Background and education
The son of the 1st Viscount Eccles and Sybil Dawson, he was educated at Winchester College and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy, politics and economics in 1954. He served in the 1st Battalion (60th Rifles), King's Royal Rifle Corps, reaching the rank of 2nd Lieutenant.
In 1985, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE); and since 1989 a DSc (Silsoe). On 24 February 1999, he entered his inheritance. Lord Eccles entered the House of Lords upon its reform; however, due to the House of Lords Act, he was soon obliged to vacate his position the House. He was later invited to election as one of the 92 remaining hereditary peers in a by-election forced by the death of the 4th Baron Aberdare, and returned to the House in 2005.
Directorships and similar
- The Nuclear Power Group: director from 1968 to 1974
- Head Wrightson & Co Ltd: managing director from 1968 to 1977, chairman from 1976 to 1977
- Glynwed International plc: director from 1972 to 1996
- Investors in Industry plc: director from 1974 to 1988
- Monopolies and Mergers Commission: member from 1976 to 1986, deputy chairman from 1981 to 1985
- Davy International Ltd: director from 1977 to 1981
- Chamberlin & Hill plc: chairman from 1982 to 2004
- Industrial Development Advisory Board: member from 1989 to 1993
- Acker Deboeck corporate psychologists: chairman from 1994 to 2004
- Commonwealth Development Corporation: member from 1982 to 1985, general manager and chief executive from 1985 to 1994.
- Courtaulds Textiles plc: director from 1992 to 2000, chairman from 1995 to 2000
- Bowes Museum Trust: chairman from 2000
- Hon. Alice Belinda Eccles b. 15 Jan 1958
- Hon. William David Eccles b. 9 Jun 1960
- Hon. Catherine Sara Eccles b. 3 Mar 1963
- Hon. Emily Frances Eccles b. 1970
Viscountess Eccles was created a life peer in her own right in 1990 as Baroness Eccles of Moulton, and so also sits in the House of Lords. They are one of the few couples who both hold titles in their own right.
Styles & Honours
- Mr John Eccles (1931–1962)
- The Hon. John Eccles (1962–1985)
- The Hon. John Eccles CBE (1985–1999)
- The Rt. Hon. The Viscount Eccles CBE (1999-)
- The Descendants of Walter Kep (2007), The Descendants of Walter Kep, Australia, viewed 8 May 2008, http://airgale.com.au/keep/d23.htm
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Eccles
- "DodOnline". Archived from the original on 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-01-23.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
David McAdam Eccles