John Ddumba Ssentamu
John Ddumba Ssentamu
|Born||1953 (age 65–66)|
|Alma mater||Makerere University|
(Bachelor of Arts in Economics)
(Doctor of Philosophy in Economics)
University of Waterloo
(Master of Arts in Economics)
|Occupation||Economist, academic, banker, academic administrator|
|Years active||1979 – present|
|Known for||Leadership Skills, Academics|
|Title||Former Vice-Chancellor, Makerere University & Professor of Economics|
John Ddumba Ssentamu (born in 1953) is a Ugandan economist, academic and banker. Currently he is a Professor of Economics and former Vice-Chancellor (2012-2017) at Makerere University, Uganda's oldest university, founded in 1922. He also serves as chairman of the board of Centenary Bank, the second-largest indigenous commercial bank in the country.
Professor Ddumba Ssentamu attended St. Mary's College Kisubi for his 0-Level and A-Level classes (S1-S6). He then entered Makerere University in 1974, to study Economics, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Economics (BA.Econ.), in 1977. He then left Makerere to pursue further studies in Canada.
He obtained the degree of Master of Arts in Economics (MA.Econ.), from the University of Waterloo, in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada in 1979. He then returned to Makerere to pursue his doctorate degree, graduating with the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), also in Economics.
For over 35 years, he has served as lecturer, senior lecturer, associate professor and professor at Makerere University. At the time of his appointment to his current post, he was the Principal of the College of Business and Management Science at Makerere University. He is reported to have about 30 publications to his name. He has served as chairman of the board at Centenary Bank for over 10 years. During that period, the bank has grown from a small microfinance institution into the second-largest indigenous commercial bank in Uganda. Over the years, Professor Ddumba Ssentamu has served as an external examiner, part-time lecturer or external vetter for staff promotions at one of the following institutions:
- The University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- The University of Ghana in Legon, Ghana
- The University of Swaziland in Mbabane, Swaziland
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Kumasi, Ghana and
- The University of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania
Professor John Ddumba Ssentamu is married. He is of the Roman Catholic faith.
Succession table as Vice-Chancellor of Makerere University
2009 – 2012
| Vice Chancellor of Makerere University
2012 – 2017
- Tuhereze, Elias (15 September 2017). "Professor Ddumba Is Makerere Vice Chancellor". Makerere University. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- Kagolo, Francis (13 September 2012). "We Shall Rebuild Makerere – Professor Ddumba". New Vision. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Talemwa, Moses (12 July 2009). "Professor Ddumba: Modern Professor". The Observer. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Campus, News (2012). "Profile of Professor John Ddumba, Makerere university Vice Chancellor". CampusTimesUg.Com. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Kagolo, Francis (28 August 2012). "Professor Ddumba Is New Makerere Vice Chancellor". New Vision. Archived from the original on 10 August 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2014.