John Dempster (footballer)
Dempster playing for Mansfield Town in 2013
|Full name||John Dempster|
|Date of birth||1 April 1983|
|Place of birth||Kettering, England|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Mansfield Town (manager)|
|2001–2006||Rushden & Diamonds||66||(4)|
|2011||→ Kettering Town (loan)||3||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Mansfield Town (loan)||12||(3)|
|2012||→ Tamworth (loan)||6||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Rushden & Diamonds
In 2006 Dempster signed for Oxford United during the January transfer window.
From 2007 he has been playing for Kettering Town, where he captained the side to promotion to the Conference Premier, and was awarded Players' Player and Supporters' player.
Following a string of impressive performances for Kettering Town, Dempster was signed by Crawley Town for an undisclosed fee in the 2011 transfer window, in the middle of their promotion-winning season that saw Crawley elevated to the Football League.
In May 2012, Dempster was released by Crawley after being deemed surplus to requirements following a handful of League 2 appearances that year and a loan spell at Conference Premier club Mansfield Town. He signed for Mansfield permanently for the 2012/13 season. After an injury and a spell on loan at Tamworth, Dempster established himself as a regular in the side that went on to win the Conference Premier on the last day of the season. Dempster signed a new contract at The Stags for 2013/14, making a return to the Football League. He captained the team in the absence of Adam Murray.
Coaching and managerial career
Dempster accepted the position of academy manager at Mansfield at the end of the 2014–15 season. On the resignation of club manager Steve Evans in February 2018, Dempster assumed the role of caretaker manager, until new manager David Flitcroft was confirmed 1 March 2018.
Dempster was promoted to the position of Mansfield Town manager when Flitcroft's contract was terminated 14 May 2019.
- As of match played 13 August 2019
|Mansfield Town||14 May 2019||Present||3||0||3||0||0.0|
Rushden & Diamonds
- "John Dempster". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "John Dempster". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Mills among Crawley casualties". Sky Sports. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Fisher, Stewart (1 February 2004). "Rushden gem hopes to prove worth" (reprint). Sunday Herald. FindArticles. Retrieved 6 August 2009.[permanent dead link].
- "Scotland Under-21 Squad". Scottish Football Association. 12 February 2004. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- Halliday, Stephen (19 February 2004). "Bonhof rings changes, and young Scots fall apart". The Scotsman. Retrieved 6 August 2009.
- "Retained list confirmed". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Club Statement". Mansfield Town FC. 27 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- David Flitcroft Announced As New Mansfield Town Manager Mansfield 103.2 FM, local commercial radio station, 1 March 2018. Retrieved 1 March 2018
- "Club statement". www.mansfieldtown.net. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "Managers: John Dempster". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2003). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2003–2004. London: Headline Publishing Group. pp. 47, 328–329. ISBN 978-0-7553-1228-3.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2011). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2011–2012. London: Headline Publishing Group. pp. 636, 648–649. ISBN 978-0-7553-6231-8.
- Anderson, John, ed. (2013). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2013–2014. London: Headline Publishing Group. pp. 652–653. ISBN 978-0-7553-6413-8.
- John Dempster at Soccerbase