John Dodson (fighter)
|Born||John Thomas Dodson III
September 26, 1984
Albuquerque, New Mexico
|Other names||The Magician|
|Residence||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8.9 st)|
|Reach||66.0 in (168 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, Gaidojutsu|
|Fighting out of||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Rank||Black belt in Gaidojutsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
John Thomas Dodson III (born September 26, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist. A professional MMA competitor since 2004, Dodson has made a name for himself fighting mainly in the Southwest region. He was the winner of the Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller. As of August 17, 2015, he is #1 in the official UFC flyweight rankings and ranked the #3 flyweight in the world by Sherdog.
Dodson was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He grew up in Albuquerque and later moved to Edgewood, New Mexico with his family. He attended Moriarty High School in Moriarty, New Mexico. Dodson is half African-American, half Filipino American. While attending Moriarty, Dodson competed in track, football and wrestling. In wrestling Dodson was a two-time state champion, one time state runner-up and four time district champion. Dodson graduated from high school in 2003, and then enrolled at the University of New Mexico while working at a local Chuck E. Cheese's restaurant.
Mixed martial arts career
Dodson began training MMA in 2002 after Chris Luttrell, and Greg Jackson recruited him for his extensive wrestling background. After the first day of training he "fell in love with the sport" and continued to train daily with Jackson.
Dodson competed in a Grappler’s Quest and won in the beginner level. Four months later he did another submission tournament, winning that at the intermediate level. Six months later Dodson competed in his first amateur fight. He competed in one other amateur bout before turning pro. Dodson was offered to make his debut in Japan against the number one ranked flyweight in the world, Yasuhiro Urushitani. Dodson lost the fight via a controversial decision.
With the lack of fights materializing at flyweight, Dodson began taking fights at featherweight and bantamweight as well. He obtained a 3–2 record before taking a fight against future WEC fighter, Clint Godfrey, winning the fight via decision. With the win over Godfrey, Dodson was selected to be a part of the second season of the Tapout Reality show.
Despite having a 1–1 record under the Ultimate Warrior Challenge promotion, he was awarded shot at the vacant UWC flyweight title at UWC 7. Dodson was defeated by Pat Runez in a highly controversial five round decision. At UWC 8, Dodson defeated previously unbeaten Jesse Riggleman via unanimous decision.
Dodson was expected to fight at Tachi Palace Fights 9 against Alexis Vila. However, Vila suffered an injury and was forced to pull out of the bout. Vila was replaced by former Shooto champion Mamoru Yamaguchi. Dodson then pulled out of the fight for unknown reasons, and was replaced by Kevin Dunsmoor.
The Ultimate Fighter
In 2011, Dodson had signed with the UFC to compete on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller. In the first episode, Dodson fought Brandon Merkt to gain entry into the Ultimate Fighter house. Dodson defeated Merkt in the first round via TKO.
Dodson was selected as a part of Team Mayhem, he was the first bantamweight chosen for the team (fourth overall). Dodson defeated John Albert via unanimous decision in the preliminary round and moved onto the semi-finals.
In the semi-finals Dodson was selected to fight Team Mayhem teammate, Johnny Bedford. After a close first round, Dodson won the fight via KO in the first minute of the second round. The win moved Dodson into the finals. The impressive finish also won Dodson an additional $25,000 for the fan voted "Knockout of the Season".
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Dodson made his UFC debut on December 3, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale against T.J. Dillashaw to determine the bantamweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter 14. Dodson won the fight via TKO in the first round to become the first Bantamweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter competition. He received an additional $40,000 for winning Knockout of the Night honors.
For his next fight, Dodson moved back down to the flyweight division and was expected to face Darren Uyenoyama on May 5, 2012 at UFC on Fox 3. However, Uyenoyama was forced out of the bout, and was replaced by promotional newcomer Tim Elliott. Dodson defeated Elliott by unanimous decision, generating crowd booing.
Dodson faced UFC Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson on January 26, 2013 at UFC on Fox 6, becoming the first Ultimate Fighter alumnus to fight for a title post-season 5. Despite knocking Johnson down twice in the second round, Dodson lost the fight via unanimous decision in a bout that earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Dodson faced promotional newcomer Darrell Montague on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. He won via knockout at 4:13 of the first round. The win also earned him his second Knockout of the Night award.
Dodson was expected to face Scott Jorgensen on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9, replacing Ian McCall. However, Dodson himself was forced from the bout after sustaining a knee injury. Jorgensen instead faced promotional newcomer Zach Makovsky.
A rematch with John Moraga took place on June 7, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 42. Dodson won the fight via TKO due to a doctor stoppage between rounds two and three after a knee he threw late in the second round.
Dodson's mother is Filipino. She raised him and his brother, Eric, as a single mother. His favorite Filipino food is Pancit. Dodson has a daughter named Delilah Skye with his girlfriend Chelsea.
Championships & accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||17 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||17–7||Demetrious Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 191||September 5, 2015||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||17–6||Zach Makovsky||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 187||May 23, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–6||John Moraga||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||June 7, 2014||2||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||15–6||Darrell Montague||KO (punch)||UFC 166||October 19, 2013||1||4:13||Houston, Texas, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||14–6||Demetrious Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson||January 26, 2013||5||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||For the UFC Flyweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–5||Jussier Formiga||TKO (punches)||UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot||October 5, 2012||2||4:35||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States||UFC Flyweight title eliminator.|
|Win||13–5||Tim Elliott||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States||Return to Flyweight.|
|Win||12–5||T.J. Dillashaw||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller Finale||December 3, 2011||1||1:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 14 Bantamweight Tournament. Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||11–5||John Moraga||Decision (unanimous)||Nemesis Fighting: MMA Global Invasion||December 11, 2010||3||5:00||Punta Cana, Dominican Republic|
|Win||10–5||Jessie Riggleman||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 8||May 22, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||9–5||Pat Runez||Decision (split)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 7||October 3, 2009||5||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States||For the UWC Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||9–4||Jose Lujan||TKO (punches)||Duke City MMA Series 2||July 25, 2009||1||0:52||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||8–4||Jose Villarisco||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 5||February 21, 2009||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||7–4||Mike Easton||Decision (split)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge 4||October 11, 2008||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||7–3||Vern Baca||TKO (punches)||Battlequest 8||April 11, 2008||1||3:42||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||6–3||Zac White||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Last Man Standing 2||December 15, 2007||1||3:42||Roswell, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||5–3||Bill Boland||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Cage Wars 7||April 7, 2007||3||5:00||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||5–2||Jake Long||TKO (slam and punches)||Last Man Standing 1||March 17, 2007||1||N/A||Roswell, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||4–2||Clint Godfrey||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Fire 27||December 9, 2006||3||5:00||Castle Rock, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||3–2||Joe Doherty||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Fire 25||July 29, 2006||3||5:00||Vail, Colorado, United States|
|Win||3–1||Jared Moreland||TKO (punches)||Rumble in the Rockies 2||February 18, 2006||1||2:55||Loveland, Colorado, United States|
|Win||2–1||Johnny Velasquez||Decision (split)||KOTC: Socorro||July 23, 2005||2||5:00||Socorro, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||1–1||Yasuhiro Urushitani||Decision (unanimous)||Demolition 20||November 14, 2004||2||5:00||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||1–0||Zac White||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Desert Extreme||September 3, 2004||1||3:23||Socorro, New Mexico, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 187 Johnson vs. Cormier". UFC.com. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Henderson vs. Khabilov". UFC.com. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "John Dodson". MMA Kanvas. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". Sherdog.com. January 5, 2014.
- "John Dodson Bio".
- Segura, Melissa (22 January 2013). "John Dodson overcame just about all of it so he could fight". Sports Illustrated (Time Inc.). Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- John Fullilove. "John "The Magician" Dodson".
- "John Dodson – Myspace".
- "Sherdog Fightfinder".
- "TapOut Features Greg Jackson fighters John Dodson and Julie Kedzie".
- John Morgan. "Gerald Harris, John Dodson among targeted Tachi Palace Fights 9 additions".
- John Morgan. "Vila out at May's Tachi Palace Fights 9 event, Dodson now faces Shooto star Yamaguchi".
- Chris Nelson. "Dodson Out, Dunsmoor In Against Mamoru at Tachi Palace Fights 9".
- Staff (2011-12-03). "The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale bonuses: Dodson, Brandao, Bermudez get $40K". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Third Fox Event to Feature Lightweight War".
- "Tim Elliott replaces Darren Uyenoyama, meets John Dodson at UFC on FOX 3". mmajunkie.com. April 17, 2012. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- Staff (2012-05-12). "UFC on FOX 3 results: John Dodson bests Tim Elliott in wild flyweight tilt". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "John Dodson vs Jussier Da Dilva possible for UFC on FX 5". mmamania.com. July 30, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Staff (2012-10-05). "UFC on FX 5 results: John Dodson claims title shot with TKO of Jussier Formiga". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
- "Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson to headline UFC on FOX 6". bloodyelbow.com. November 6, 2012. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Brian Knapp (2013-01-26). "Demetrious Johnson outduels John Dodson, keeps flyweight title at UFC on Fox 6". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- Mike Whitman (2013-01-26). "UFC on Fox 6 Bonuses: Demetrious Johnson, John Dodson, Anthony Pettis, Ryan Bader Net $50,000". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "John Dodson meets UFC newcomer Darrell Montague at UFC 166 in Houston". mmajunkie.com. August 10, 2013. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Staff. "UFC 166 Results: John Dodson Sends Darrell Montague Crashing to the Canvas". MMAweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- Staff. "UFC 166 bonuses: Melendez, Sanchez, Dodson and Ferguson win $60,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- Jason Floyd (2013-10-29). "With Ian McCall injured, Scott Jorgensen now meets John Dodson at UFC on FOX 9". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Chris Hall (2013-12-03). "John Dodson out of UFC on Fox 9 fight against Scott Jorgensen due to knee injury". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Ken Pishna (2013-12-04). "RFA Flyweight Champion Zach Makovsky Tapped to Face Scott Jorgensen at UFC on Fox 9". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Jesse Holland (2014-03-26). "John Dodson vs John Moraga on tap for UFC Fight Night event on June 7 in Albuquerque". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-03-26.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-06-07). "UFC Fight Night 42 results, photos: John Dodson (and doc) stop John Moraga". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Staff (February 22, 2015). "Flyweights John Dodson and Zach Makovsky slated for UFC 187 in Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Dave Doyle (2015-05-23). "John Dodson takes unanimous decision over Zach Makovsky". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- Mookie Alexander (2015-07-15). "Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson rematch headlines UFC 191". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-09-06). "UFC 191 results: Demetrious Johnson near perfect in second title win over John Dodson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-06.