John Doman Turner
Born in Brixton in London, Turner received artistic training by correspondence from Spencer Gore while working as a stockbroker's clerk. This correspondence still exists, and has been used by subsequent artists, for example Esther Freud in her novel The Sea House.
Turner exhibited twelve works with the Camden Town Group in three exhibitions between 1911 and 1912 (see 'Works' below).
During his later life Turner went on to paint four unique scrolls including the Walberswick Scroll, a 123-foot 'Dioramic Pictorial Record of a Suffolk Village' which detailed every dwelling of the Suffolk village of Walberswick. This was followed by the Trinity Fair Scroll, a portrait of a travelling circus, which can be seen at the Swan Hotel, Southwold.
During the early 1990s Southampton Art Gallery acquired an example of the work of John Doman Turner titled The Joy Wheel Mitcham. Every year the fun fair arrived on Mitcham Common and just a few years before the outbreak of the 1914–18 war JDT went and painted the watercolour.
He also painted other works of Mitcham around the same time which come from the same collection.
John Doman Turner's works include the following, as featured at the Camden Town Group exhibitions:
- Duncan and Godfrey in ‘The Coster’s Courtship’
- Elizabeth II at Brighton
- In the Grand Circle
- Brighton Shelters
- HMS - Sheerness
- St. Valery-S-Somme
- The Sound of Kerrera and Kerrera Island, Oban
- Canal Boats
- The Fair Green, Mitcham
- Mitcham Common
In the 1930s John Doman Turner painted four huge scrolls in watercolour:
- Ferry Road Scroll
- Walberswick Scroll
- Trinity Fair Scroll
- Fairground Frieze
Notes and references
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2017)
- Baron, Wendy (13 December 1979). The Camden Town Group (First ed.). Scolar Press. ISBN 9780859675178.
- "Birth certificate". John Doman Turner. 25 October 2017. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- Baron, Wendy (2004). "Camden Town Group: John Doman Turner", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press (subscription required). Accessed on 13 June 2009.
- Potter, Tom. "Rarely displayed 123ft Walberswick Scroll painting goes on show for history group's anniversary". East Anglian Daily Times. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "An artist's scroll depicting every building in the Suffolk village of Walberswick gets rare public outing". ITV News. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "An artist's scroll depicting every building in the Suffolk village of Walberswick gets rare public outing". ITV News. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "Penelope Keith's Coastal Villages - On Demand - All 4". www.channel4.com. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- null (1 May 2012). "The First Exhibition of the Camden Town Group". Cite journal requires
- null (1 May 2012). "The Second Exhibition of the Camden Town Group". Cite journal requires
- null (1 May 2012). "The Third Exhibition of the Camden Town Group". Cite journal requires