April 30, 1960 |
Evanston, Illinois, United States
|Education||New Trier High School|
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College, Stanford Graduate School of Business|
|Salary||$13,833,374 (total compensation, fiscal year 2013)|
|Children||Four, three sons and a daughter|
John Joseph Donahoe II (born April 30, 1960) is an American businessman who served as president and CEO of eBay from March 31, 2008 to July 2015. Early in his career he worked for Bain & Company, becoming the firm's president and CEO in 1999. He is currently a member of the President's Export Council, and serves on the Boards of Directors of both eBay Inc. and Intel Corp. He also serves as chairman of PayPal.
Early life and education
John Donahoe was born in Evanston, Illinois on April 30, 1960. His father was an accountant at Price Waterhouse in Chicago. He graduated from New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois. He received a BA in Economics from Dartmouth and an MBA from Stanford Business School.
After his senior year of high school, a friend’s dad asked him to work at his Schlitz beer distribution company. “You’ll make good money,” he said. It was a union job and the first requirement was that he join the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
In March 2005 he was hired as president of eBay Marketplaces. His role was to focus on eBay's core business, which accounts for a large percentage of the company's revenues. He made more than forty acquisitions, including Shopping.com and StubHub, and the classifieds sites Gumtree and LoQUo, and most recently, Shutl. In his current role as of 2015, Mr. Donahoe oversees eBay's two modules, eBay Marketplaces, and PayPal.
Donahoe has contributed to both parties, both to Republican candidate Congressman David Dreier of California as well as two Democrat candidates: Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, and Barbara Boxer of California.
He is married to Eileen Donahoe (née Chamberlain), the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland. They have four children, three sons and a daughter, and live in Portola Valley, California.
- "John J. Donahoe II". Businessweek. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "John Donahoe II, chief executive of eBay".
- "John Donahoe". Forbes. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "eBay Inc. Leadership".
- "Intel Newsroom".
- "John Donahoe". Irish America. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "Tech drives eBay growth". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "My First Job".
- NEWSMEAT ▷ John Donahoe's Federal Campaign Contribution Report. Newsmeat.com. Retrieved on 2013-08-24.
- "Dartmouth News' announcement of Dr. Donahoe's appointment of U.S. Ambassador to UNHR", The Dartmouth, 13 November 2009.
- Donahoe, Eileen and John (15 July 2013). "‘We Leaned Into Our Marriage’". Lean In.
- Sellers, Patricia (26 January 2011). "EBay CEO Donahoe bares his own work-life struggles". CNN Money.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John Donahoe.|
|President and CEO of eBay
March 31, 2008 – July 19, 2015
|New creation||Chairman of PayPal
|This article about a chief executive from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|