John Eatwell, Baron Eatwell
John Leonard Eatwell, Baron Eatwell, (born 2 February 1945) is a British economist and the current President of Queens' College, Cambridge.
Lord Eatwell was educated at Headlands Grammar School in Swindon in Wiltshire, followed by Queens' College at the University of Cambridge (1964–1967), where he gained a B.A., followed by studies at Harvard University as a Kennedy Scholar, where he obtained a Ph.D. He subsequently returned to Queens' as a research fellow.
Eatwell has held several positions within the University of Cambridge, including Professor of Financial Policy at the Judge Business School and University Lecturer at the Faculty of Economics: he was a fellow of Trinity College from 1970 to 1996, when he was elected President of Queens'. With his other duties, Eatwell taught Economics at the New School for Social Research in New York City in the 1980s and 1990s. He is also a member of various important national bodies. He was chief economic adviser to Neil Kinnock, the then-Leader of the Labour Party, from 1985 to 1992 and is a Labour member of the House of Lords as Baron Eatwell, of Stratton St Margaret in the County of Wiltshire. In 2010, he was appointed a Labour Opposition Spokesman for the Treasury in the House of Lords by new leader Ed Miliband.
- Eatwell, J. (1971) "On the proposed reform of corporation tax." Bulletin of the Oxford University Institute of Economics and Statistics, 33(4): 267-274.
- Eatwell, J.(1973) "Mr Sraffa's Standard Commodity and the Rate of Exploitation", Ekonomiska (trans. 1975, Quarterly Journal of Economics).
- Eatwell, J., Llewellyn, J. and Tarling, R. (1974) "Money wage inflation in industrial countries" Review of Economic Studies, 41(4): 515-523.
- Eatwell, J.(1975) "The Interpretation of Ricardo's Essay on Profits", Economica.
- Eatwell, J. (1975) "A note on the truncation theorem." Kyklos, 28(4): 870-875.
- Eatwell, J. (1975) "Mr. Sraffa's standard commodity and the rate of exploitation" Quarterly Journal of Economics, 89(4): 543-555.
- Eatwell, J.(1977) "The Irrelevance of Returns to Scale in Sraffa's Analysis", Journal of Economic Literature.
- Eatwell, J. (1977) "Portrait: Joan Robinson." Challenge, 20(1): 64-65
- Eatwell, J. (1980) "On the theoretical consistency of theories of surplus value." Capital and Class, 10: 155-158
- Eatwell, J. and Milgate M. (1983) (eds) Keynes's Economics and the Theory of Value and Distribution, Oxford: Duckworth.
- Eatwell, J., Milgate, M. and Newman, P. (eds.) (1987) The New Palgrave: A Dictionary of Economics, London: Macmillan.
- Milgate, M. and Eatwell, J. (1988) "Economic theory and European society: the influence of J.M.Keynes." History of European Ideas, 9(2): 215-225.
- Eatwell, J., Milgate, M. and Newman, P. (eds.) (1990) The new Palgrave capital theory, London: Macmillan.
- Eatwell, J. (1990) "Walras's theory of capital." In Eatwell, J., Milgate, M. and Newman, P. (eds.): The new Palgrave capital theory. London: Macmillan, pp. 247–256.
- Eatwell, J. (1991) "Institutions, efficiency, and the theory of economic policy." Social Research, 61(1): 35-53.
- Newman, P., Milgate, M. and Eatwell, J. (eds.) (1992) The new Palgrave dictionary of money and finance. London: Macmillan.
- Eatwell, J. (1994) "Citizen Keynes." American Prospect, 5(16): 115-124.
- Eatwell, J. (1995) "The international origins of unemployment." In Michie, J. and Grieve Smith, J. (eds.): Managing the global economy. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 271–286.
- Eatwell, J. (1995) "The global money trap: can Clinton master the markets?" American Prospect, 4(12): 118-126.
- Eatwell, J. (ed.) (1996) Global unemployment: loss of jobs in the '90s. New York: M.E. Sharpe.
- Eatwell, J. and Wallace, P. (1996) "Responses: The British economy." New Statesman and Society, 9(402): 32.
- Eatwell, J. (1997) "Effective demand and disguised unemployment." In Michie, J. and Grieve Smith, J. (eds.): Employment and economic performance: jobs, inflation and growth. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 76–94.
- Eatwell, J., Ellman, M., Karlsson, M., Nuti M. and Shapiro, J. (1997) Not 'just another accession': the political economy of EU enlargement to the East. London: Institute for Public Policy Research.
- Eatwell, J., Jelin, E., McGrew, A. and Rosenau, J. (1998) Understanding globalisation: the nation-state, democracy and economic policies in the new epoch. Stockholm: Almqvist and Wiksell.
- Eatwell, J. (1998) "Ethics and self-interest." In Jones, I. and Pollitt, M. (eds.): The role of business ethics in economic performance. Houndsmill: Macmillan, pp. 21–30.
- Eatwell, J. and Taylor, L. (1999) "The American stock-flow trap." Challenge, 42(5): 34-49.
- Eatwell, J. (1999) "The anatomy of the pensions 'crisis'." Economic Survey of Europe, 3: 57-67.
- Eatwell, J. (1999) "From cooperation to coordination to control?" New Political Economy, 4(3): 410-415.
- Eatwell, J. and Taylor, L. (1999) "Towards an effective regulation of international capital markets." Politik und Gesellschaft, 3: 279-286.
- Eatwell, J. (2000) "Unemployment: national policies in a global economy." International Journal of Manpower, 21(5): 343-373.
- Eatwell, J. and Taylor, L. (2000) Capital flows and the international financial architecture: a paper from the Project on Development, Trade, and International Finance. New York, NY: Council on Foreign Relations Press.
- Eatwell, J. and Taylor, L. (2000) Global finance at risk: the case for international regulation. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Eatwell, J., Ellman, M., Karlsson, M., Nuti, M. and Shapiro, J. (2000) Hard budgets and soft states: social policy choices in central and eastern Europe. London: Institute for Public Policy Research.
- Eatwell, J. (2001) "New issues in international financial regulation." In Ferran, E. and Goodhart, C.A.E. (eds.): Regulating financial services and markets in the 21st century. Oxford: Hart Publishing, pp. 235–254.
- Eatwell, J. and Taylor, L. (eds.) (2002) International capital markets: systems in transition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Eatwell, J. (2004) "Useful bubbles." Contributions to Political Economy, 23(1): 35-47
- Alexander, K., Dhumale, R. and Eatwell, J. (2005) Global governance of financial systems: the international regulation of systemic risk. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Izurieta, A., Cripps, F. and Eatwell, J. (2005) "Financial imbalances in the world economy." Economic and Political Weekly, 40(52): 5453-5456.
- Eatwell, J. (2005) "Britain and America: ameliorating unilateralism." Social Research, 72(4): 791-798.
- Eatwell, J. (2007) "Risk management and systemic risk." In Estrin, S., Kolodko, G. and Uvalic, M. (eds.): Transition and beyond. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 247–262.
- Alexander, K., Eatwell, J., Persaud, A. and Reoch, R. (2007) Financial supervision and crisis management in the EU. Brussels: European Parliament Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs.
- Eatwell, J. (2009) "Practical proposals for regulatory reform." In: Chatham House and Atlantic Council of the United States (eds.) (2009) New ideas for the London Summit: recommendations to the G20 leaders. London: Royal Institute of International Affairs, pp. 11–14
- The London Gazette no. 52994, p. 12176
- Labour's New Front Bench Team, Labour Party website, October 22, 2010
- Lord Eatwell on the Parliamentwebsite, October 22, 2010
|President of Queens' College, Cambridge