John Eccles, 2nd Viscount Eccles
The Viscount Eccles
|Born||20 April 1931|
|Spouse(s)||Diana Eccles, Viscountess Eccles|
|Children||The Hon. Alice Eccles |
The Hon. William Eccles
The Hon. Catherine Eccles
The Hon. Emily Eccles
|Alma mater||Magdalen College, Oxford|
|Occupation||Peer and businessman|
John Dawson Eccles, 2nd Viscount Eccles, British Conservative peer and businessman. He is one of the ninety hereditary peers elected to remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999.(born 20 April 1931), is a
Background and education
The son of the 1st Viscount Eccles and Sybil Dawson, he was educated at Winchester College and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy, politics and economics in 1954. He served in the 1st Battalion (60th Rifles), King's Royal Rifle Corps, reaching the rank of 2nd Lieutenant.
In 1985, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE); and since 1989 a DSc (Silsoe). On 24 February 1999, he entered his inheritance. Lord Eccles entered the House of Lords upon its reform; however, due to the House of Lords Act, he was soon obliged to vacate his position in the House. He was later invited to election as one of the 92 remaining hereditary peers in a by-election forced by the death of the 4th Baron Aberdare, and returned to the House in 2005.
Directorships and similar
- The Nuclear Power Group: director from 1968 to 1974
- Head Wrightson & Co Ltd: managing director from 1968 to 1977, chairman from 1976 to 1977
- Glynwed International plc: director from 1972 to 1996
- Investors in Industry plc: director from 1974 to 1988
- Monopolies and Mergers Commission: member from 1976 to 1986, deputy chairman from 1981 to 1985
- Davy International Ltd: director from 1977 to 1981
- Chamberlin & Hill plc: chairman from 1982 to 2004
- Industrial Development Advisory Board: member from 1989 to 1993
- Acker Deboeck corporate psychologists: chairman from 1994 to 2004
- Commonwealth Development Corporation: member from 1982 to 1985, general manager and chief executive from 1985 to 1994.
- Courtaulds Textiles plc: director from 1992 to 2000, chairman from 1995 to 2000
- Bowes Museum Trust: chairman from 2000
- Hon. Alice Belinda Eccles (born 1958)
- Hon. William David Eccles (born 1960)
- Hon. Catherine Sara Eccles (born 1963)
- Hon. Emily Frances Eccles (born 1970)
Viscountess Eccles was created a life peer in her own right in 1990 as Baroness Eccles of Moulton, and so also sits in the House of Lords. They are one of the few couples who both hold titles in their own right.
- "The Descendants of Walter Kep", The Descendants of Walter Kep, Australia (2007), viewed 8 May 2008.
- http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/eccles1964.htm[bare URL]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Eccles
- "DodOnline". Archived from the original on 8 February 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2007.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Viscount Eccles
Member of the House of Lords
Hon. William Eccles
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
The Lord Aberdare
| Elected hereditary peer to the House of Lords
under of the House of Lords Act 1999