John Eden, Baron Eden of Winton
The Lord Eden of Winton
|Member of Parliament|
for Bournemouth West
18 February 1954 – 9 June 1983
|Preceded by||Robert Gascoyne-Cecil|
|Succeeded by||John Butterfill|
|Born||15 September 1925|
Eden was educated at Eton College and St Paul's School, New Hampshire, USA. He served as a Lieutenant with the Rifle Brigade, 2nd Gurkha Rifles and the Gilgit Scouts during the Second World War. He is a nephew of Sir Anthony Eden (1897–1977), who served as prime minister from 1955 to 1957, and he succeeded his father Sir Timothy Calvert Eden to his baronetcies in 1963. He is the 9th Baronet of West Auckland and the 7th Baronet of Maryland.
After an unsuccessful attempt to contest the 1953 Paddington North by-election, he was the Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) for Bournemouth West from 1954 until 1983. When first elected at by-election in February 1954, he was the youngest member of the House of Commons. He was appointed to the Privy Council on 10 April 1972 and was created a life peer as Baron Eden of Winton, of Rushyford in the County of Durham on 3 October 1983, following his retirement from the House of Commons. He retired from the House of Lords on 11 June 2015 under the provisions of the House of Lords Reform Act 2014. Following the death of Lord Healey on 3 October 2015, Eden became the surviving former MP with the earliest date of first election.
- Member of the House of Commons Estimates committee (1960–1964)
- Delegate to Council of Europe and West European Union (1960–1962)
- Delegate to NATO Technology (June–October 1970)
- Minister of State for Industry (1970–1972)
- Minister of State for Posts and Telecommunications (1972–1974)
- Member of the House of Commons Expenditure committee (1974–1976)
- Chairman of the Select Committee on EEC Legislation (1976–1979)
- Chairman of the Select Committee on Home Affairs (1980–1983)
- Chairman of the British Lebanese Association (1990–1998)
- Chairman of the Royal Armouries Association (1986–1994)
- Member of Timken Company International Advisory Board
- Chairman of Lady Eden's Schools Ltd
He has been twice married:
- 1) Belinda Jane Pascoe (1954 – divorced 1974); four children
- 2) Margaret Ann Gordon, a former wife of the Viscount Strathallan
Titles and styles
- John Eden (1925–1954)
- John Eden MP (1954–1963)
- Sir John Eden Bt MP (1963–1972)
- The Rt. Hon. Sir John Eden Bt MP (1972–1983)
- The Rt. Hon. Sir John Eden Bt (1983)
- The Rt. Hon. The Lord Eden of Winton Bt PC (1983–)
- "John Benedict Eden". the peerage. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Sir John Benedict EDEN (Baron Eden of Winton)". Council of Europe. Archived from the original on 15 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "No. 49500". The London Gazette. 6 October 1983. p. 13057.
- "House of Lords Minute of Proceedings for 11 June 2015".
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Bournemouth West
| Baby of the House