John Edgar (minister)
John Edgar (13 June 1798 – 26 August 1866) was a minister, professor of theology, moderator of the Secession Synod in 1828 and moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland in 1842. He was Honorary Secretary to the Presbyterian Home Mission during the Famine in 1847.
He was born near Ballynahinch on 13 June 1798, the eldest son of Samuel Edgar (1766-1826) and Elizabeth McKee (1771-1839). He attended the Royal Belfast Academical Institution where he excelled as a student, and was ordained a minister in the Presbyterian church in 1820. He became D.D. of Hamilton, USA in 1836, was elected moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland for 1842–3, and obtained LL.D. of New York in 1860.
He formed the Ulster Temperance Movement . In 1834, Edgar told a parliamentary committee inquiring into the causes and consequences of drunkenness in the United Kingdom that there were 550 "dram shops" in Belfast and 1,700 shops selling intoxicants in Dublin as well as numerous illicit distillers "even in the most civilised districts of Ulster". 
Home mission and famine relief in Connaught
Edgar was also involved in the relief effort by the presbyterian church in Connaught during the Irish famine. The church was accused of proselytizing during the famine period. In the May Street Presbyterian Church he said, "I hope soon to have an opportunity of directing public attention to spiritual famine in Connaught, but our effort now is to save the perishing body ... Our brother is starving, and, till we have satisfied his hunger, we have no time to inquire whether he is Protestant or Romanist".
- Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland - Moderators of the Secession Synod from its formation in 1818
- Presbyterians and the Irish language by Roger Blaney, Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996.
- Rev John Edgar D.D, LL.D (1798-1866)
- Peter Fryer (1965) Mrs Grundy: Studies in English Prudery: 141-44. Corgi
- Evangelical Protestantism in Ulster society 1740-1890 By David Hempton, Myrtle Hill (1992)
- An Irishman's Diary The Irish Times - Thursday, October 28, 2010.
- History of Protestant Gaelic Speakers Archived 2011-09-28 at the Wayback Machine. by Gordon McCoy, 2009
- Memoir of John Edgar, D.D., LL.D. by William Dool Killen, Belfast (1867)
Select works of John Edgar, D.D., LL. D: Professor of systematic theology for the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, edited by William Dool Killen, 1869
|Professor of Theology of the Secession Synod
Himself and Samuel Hanna as joint Professors of Theology of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland
Himself as Professor of Theology
of the Secession Synod
Samuel Hanna as Professor of Theology
of the Synod of Ulster
|Professor of Theology
of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland
With: Samuel Hanna, 1840-1852
|Presbyterian Church titles|
Henry Cooke (1841)
|Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland
Robert Stewart (1843)