- for the actor see John Eldredge (actor)
June 6, 1960 |
Los Angeles, U.S.
John Eldredge (Los Angeles, June 6, 1960) is an American author, counselor, and lecturer on Christianity. He is known for his bestselling book Wild at Heart.
Life and work
Eldredge describes himself, "I’m 55. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. My wife Stasi and I have three sons. My graduate degree is in counseling. Professionally, I’m a writer and a speaker. I don’t pastor. I’m not a preacher. I don’t have a church that I lead."
While living in Los Angeles Eldredge was looking for a "worldview." After exploring other religions, Eastern mysticism, Lao-Tzu, and New Age spirituality, he discovered the writings of Francis Schaeffer, whom he calls one of the best philosophers of the 20th century. Through Schaeffer, Eldredge came to Christ and later to the church. He eventually got a master's degree in counseling and practiced in Colorado Springs before working for Focus on the Family, where he served as Senior Fellow for Christian Worldview.
John received his undergraduate degree in theater from California Polytechnic University (Pomona) and his MA in biblical counseling from Colorado Christian University under the direction of Dr. Larry Crabb and Dr. Dan Allender. Prior to joining Focus on the Family in 1988, John served for five years on the staff of Sierra Madre Congregational Church in Southern California.
In July 2000, John left Focus on the Family, where he worked for 12 years, to launch Ransomed Heart Ministries. John travels extensively in the U.S. and abroad. John, his wife, Stasi, and their three sons live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. In addition to publishing many books, he has produced three videos: Risky Business: A Look at Gambling, Whatever Happened to Marriage?: A Look at Divorce, and Created Different?: A Look at Homosexuality.
- The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God (1997), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-7342-5 [with Brent Curtis]
- Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul (2001), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-8796-5
- Wild at Heart Field Manual: A Personal Guide to Discover the Secret of Your Masculine Soul (2002), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-6574-0
- The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We've Only Dreamed of (2001), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-6716-6
- The Journey of Desire: The Participant's Guide (2001), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-9877-0
- The Journey of Desire Journal & Guidebook: An Expedition to Discover the Deepest Longings of Your Heart (2002), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-6640-2 [with Craig McConnell]
- Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive (2003), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-8829-5
- A Guidebook to Waking the Dead: Embracing the Life God Has for You (2003), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-6309-8 [with Craig McConnell]
- Epic: The Story God Is Telling (2004), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-8879-1
- Epic Church Kit (2007), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 1-4185-2614-2
- Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul (2005), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-6469-8
- Captivating Study Guide: Unveiling The Mystery of a Woman's Soul (2007), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN [with Stasi Eldredge]
- The Ransomed Heart: A Collection of Devotional Readings (2005), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-0706-6
- The Way of the Wild Heart: A Map for the Masculine Journey (2006), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-0677-9
- Desire: The Journey We Must Take to Find the Life God Offers (2007), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-8842-2
- Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really. (2008), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 0-7852-0696-5
- A Personal Guide to Walking with God (2008), Nashville: Thomas Nelson ISBN 1-4185-2821-8
- Fathered by God (2009), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 1-4002-8027-3 [re-publication of a portion of The Way of the Wild Heart]
- Love & War: Finding the Marriage you've Dreamed of (2009), with Stasi Eldredge
- Beautiful Outlaw: Experiencing the Playful, Disruptive, Extravagant Personality of Jesus (2011), New York: FaithWords, ISBN 978-0-89296-088-0
- "The Utter Relief of Holiness" (2013), New York: Faithwords – ISBN 978-1-4555-2571-3
- Killing Lions: A Guide Through the Trials Young Men Face. (2014), Nashville: Thomas Nelson, ISBN 1-4002-0670-7
- Read The Spirit, http://www.readthespirit.com/explore/2011/12/14/interview-with-john-eldredge-on-beautiful-outlaw.html
- "Meet John Eldredge". Christian Book.
- Smith, Warren (September 24, 2014). "John Eldredge: Young men and a life of daring". World.
- "John Eldredge Author Profile". New Release Tuesday.
- "Christian Book Previews". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Ransomed Heart Ministries
- Walking With God official website
- Wildheart magazine article about Eldredge