John Emil Augustine
|John Emil Augustine|
John Emil Augustine 2017 Promotional Photo
March 12, 1975|
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
|Genres||Rock, folk, art rock, world music, literary realism, narrative nonfiction|
|Occupation(s)||Teacher, novelist, short story writer, singer-songwriter, musician, vocalist, producer, composer, arranger|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, mandolin, piano, organ, keyboards, synthesizers, didgeridoo|
John Emil Augustine (born March 12, 1975) is an American novelist, short story writer, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, mental health advocate, and teacher. Augustine’s literary works are best known for their emphasis on the author’s abuse at the hands of a mentally unstable wife and the effects of that abuse on his own mental health as well as subsequent relationships. Less than a year after its release, his first novel, From the Abyss (2013), was recognized as one of the "50 Self-Published Books Worth Reading" by Indie Author Land, 2013/14. His musical career spans four decades (1987–present); however, little information has been released by Augustine himself regarding his career in music. His participation in the Minneapolis music scene is alluded to in his memoir-oriented novels as well as in subsequent interviews.
Early life and education
Much of Augustine’s early life and educational details have been kept under wraps to quell the threat of continued abuse. Augustine grew up in Minneapolis, MN. His undergraduate degrees include English, music, and general education from a Minneapolis/St. Paul College. Augustine earned a MA in Adult Education at the University of Minnesota as well as a MFA in Communications.
Much of Augustine’s musical career has been kept under wraps, but two full-length albums were nonetheless released in 2014, the second of which, Postcards from the Abyss (2014), features material dating back as far as 1992. A June 2014 interview indicates the existence of material dating back to 1987, five years prior to the time span of the release.
Augustine's first release, Chants for Renewal, Presence, and Awareness (2014), earned him a number one spot on ReverbNation's World music charts in February 2014.[better source needed] Notably, Augustine holds sole writing, performance, and production credits on an album with instrumentation as varied as didgeridoo, hammered dulcimer, and steel drum.
In October 2016, as a lead-up to the 20th Anniversary release of Need the Love, Augustine mass-released two EPs, fifteen full albums, eight double albums, and one triple album (26 in all) spanning 25 years (1991-2016) on YouTube. Notably, the rarely heard Divorce Tapes, which coincide with Augustine’s first From the Abyss novel, were included in the mass release.
Augustine "toured in his twenties and early thirties with local and national acts; writing, arranging, and performing with notable jazz, blues, gospel, reggae, post funk, prog rock, and folk groups." One such act alluded to has been with a member of the Jamaican reggae and ska band The Wailers.
In 2014, Augustine indicated plans to return to public performance after a ten-year hiatus. In 2015, an official announcement via Augustine's website divulged the name of his group, The JEA Combo, as well as the names of his hand-selected veteran bandmates: Richard Novy (The Cornbread Harris Band), Jake Pool (Puafua), and Joe Frank. The combo's first appearance was as a headliner for Ars Bellum Foundation's "Boots On the Ground" fundraiser for veterans with PTSD. Shortly after, Jake Pool left the group and David Towner joined.
June 22, 2012 marked the beginning of Augustine's literary career when his self-published, self-edited memoir, a 72,000 word novel entitled Love Seen from Hell, first became available in the burgeoning indie literature market as a Smashwords ebook. The book itself was fashioned from Augustine's personal Facebook messages to a friend in an abusive relationship. The two follow-ups, Love Seen from Heartache and Love Seen from Healing, also appeared as self-published Smashwords ebooks within the span of a year.
Augustine Signed on with small press publisher Master Koda Select Publishing in 2013, and the second edition of Love Seen from Hell entitled From the Abyss was released in December 2013. From the Abyss earned a number one spot on Amazon's Hot New Releases list in January 2014, as well as a number 32 spot on Amazon's Best Seller's list following the release of its follow-up.[better source needed] In March 2014, From the Abyss II (the second edition of Love Seen from Heartache) also earned a number one spot on Amazon's Hot New Releases as well as number 16 spot on its Best Seller's list.[better source needed] From the Abyss also earned a number 28 spot in June 2014 on Indie Author Land's "50 Self-Published Books Worth Reading," 2013/14. From the Abyss III (the second edition of Love Seen From Healing) was released to a number 19 spot on Amazon's Best Seller's List in March 2015.[better source needed]
Mental Health Advocacy
Augustine is using his From the Abyss series to raise community awareness about the widespread existence of domestic abuse. To that end, he also co-founded and volunteered for the online help group Coping With Emotional Abuse, donates all proceeds of his 2016 album, Need the Love, to Mental Health Minnesota, and continues to volunteer as an ambassador for Mental Health Minnesota, sharing his story and leading public speaking workshops for new ambassadors.[better source needed]
- (1991) Trinopolis
- (1992) Gloved Rabbit
- (1993) Floor Pan
- (1993) Strings and Teeth
- (1994) A Model Airplane
- (1994) Television
- (1995) Gettin' the Gang Back Together
- (1996) Wap Wap Wah-Ooh
- (1996) 10 Rough Dorm Room Recordings
- (1997) Goodbye Teeth
- (1998) Camden
- (2001) Divorce
- (2003) Piscean Experiments
- (2004) 'Cilla
- (2005) 1701 Grand Christmas
- (2006) Summer In the City
- (2007) Thanksgiving
- (2008) Carver
- (2009) Dragon Intern Soundtrack
- (2010) Valentine's Day
- (2011) Navarre
- (2011) Occupy
- (2012) Lughnasadh - Mabon - Samhain
- (2013) Promotional Odds 'N Ends
- (2014) Chants for Renewal, Presence and Awareness
- (2014) Postcards from the Abyss (Compilation)
- (2014) Blueprint
- (2016) Need the Love
- (2017) Live Boots
- (2018) 30 Years a Songsmith (Compilation)
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Love Seen novels
- (2012) Love Seen from Hell
- (2012) Love Seen from Heartache
- (2013) Love Seen from Healing
From the Abyss novels
- (2013) From the Abyss
- (2014) From the Abyss II
- (2015) From the Abyss III
Short stories and articles
- (2013) A Funny Thing Happened to Me, Imagine This Magazine
- (2013) On My Experience in Teaching and Writing, MJ Magazine, November 2013 Edition
- (2013) A Moment of Magic, Holiday Keepsakes: A Collection of Stories, Poems and Memories
- (2014) John Emil Augustine on Bullying, MJ Magazine, March 2014 Edition
- (2014) What Kind of Mirror Are You?, iuemag, March 2014 Edition
- "Re: John Emil Augustine's Big Surprise Interview". Retrieved July 16, 2014.content1
- From the Abyss (2013), pp. 11, 25-28, 39-41, 45-50, 139-142, 163, 166.
- "Re: Why I Wear the Paint Video". Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- From the Abyss (2013), pp. 10, 26.
- From the Abyss II (2014), pp. 115, 130.
- "Re: Amazon Biography, John Emil Augustine". Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- "Re: John Emil Augustine Amazon artist page". Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Re: John Emil Augustine Accolades". Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Re: Chants for Renewal, Presence, and Awareness album notes, CD Baby". Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "Re: Chant Trailer 5". Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "Re: John Emil Augustine Full Albums". Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Re: The JEA Combo". Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Re: Boots On the Ground". Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Re: JEA Combo". Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Re: Blog Talk Radio Interview 9/12/12". Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Re: Love Seen From Hell Smashwords page". Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Re: Here Is My Interview with John Emil Augustine". Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "Re: Love Seen From Heartache Smashwords page". Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Re: Love Seen From Healing Smashwords page". Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Re: Master Koda Select Publishing Author's Books: From the Abyss". Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Re: Our City Radio's featured artist". Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "Re: Coping With Emotional Abuse". Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- "Re: John Emil Augustine Music". Retrieved July 31, 2017.