John Erick Dowdle
|John Erick Dowdle|
|Born||December 1973 (age 43)
St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Stacy Chbosky (2005–present)|
John Erick Dowdle (born December 1973) is an American film director and screenwriter, best known for horror films. He usually works with his brother Drew Dowdle as a producer and co-screenwriter.
Dowdle grew up in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. After graduating from the St. Thomas Academy, an all-boys, military, Catholic high school, Dowdle moved to Iowa City, Iowa to attend the University of Iowa. There he would make the move from writing to film. Two years later, Dowdle moved to Manhattan, New York City to attend New York University's film program.
After graduating from NYU, Dowdle moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in filmmaking. Dowdle wrote and directed his first feature, the 1996 film Full Moon Rising, when he was just out of college. For his sophomore effort, The Dry Spell, Dowdle was joined by his younger brother Drew, who produced the film as John wrote, directed and edited. They now live in Los Angeles, working together as The Brothers Dowdle.
With his brother Drew Dowdle as a producer and/or co-screenwriter, John Erick Dowdle directed the horror films Quarantine, Devil, based on a storybook from M. Night Shyamalan, and As Above, So Below, as well as the 2015 thriller film No Escape, starring Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan.
He was announced to direct the movie adaption of Jack Kilburn's novel Afraid.
Dowdle is married to Stacy Chbosky. Stacy's brother is author/director Stephen Chbosky.
|1996||Full Moon Rising||
|2005||The Dry Spell||
||Nominated—Grand Jury Prize at the Slamdance Film Festival|
|2007||The Poughkeepsie Tapes||
|2014||As Above, So Below||
- Quarantine Director on Next Project, The Coup
- Dowdle, John & Drew (Quarantine)
- The Dowdle Brothers 'Afraid' of Horrible Sci-fi Apocalypse
- Shyamalan, QUARANTINE filmmakers team for DEVIL[permanent dead link]
- Owen Wilson Returns To Action Mode In ‘The Coup’
- Pierce Brosnan Joins The Coup
- Dowdle Brothers to Direct an Adaptation of Jack Kilborn's Afraid
- "WEINSTEIN TELEVISION’S EPIC SCRIPTED EVENT SERIES “WACO,” LANDS ON SPIKE TV". Spike. October 26, 2016. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- John Erick Dowdle Filmography – Yahoo! Movies
- John Erick Dowdle – Awards