John Lee Erwin
December 5, 1936
Erwin was the voice of He-Man in the Filmation productions He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and She-Ra: Princess of Power that ran from 1983 to 1986. Due to the extreme cost-cutting by Filmation, the cast of voice actors was small, and producer Lou Scheimer actually performed the bulk of the character voices. Erwin was also the voice of the henchman character Beast Man, and would on occasion do the voices of other supporting characters, too, such as Webstor and Ram Man.
Although generally recognized for his work on He-Man, Erwin has many years of voice acting to his credit (including the voice of Reggie Mantle in Filmation's Archie cartoon), and has provided voices for many productions ranging from television advertisements to live-action movies since the 1960s.
He also did small spot roles in various Hanna-Barbera episodes for different shows (such as Hanna-Barbera's animated mini-series The Thing) and others, going uncredited.
- 13 Fighting Men (1960) ... Cpl. McLean
- Aesop's Fables (1971) ... Donkey/Male Swan/Tree/Fox (voice)
- Looker (1981) ... Commercial Announcer (voice)
- Back to the Future Part II (1989) ... Radio Sportscaster (voice)
- Babe (1995) ... TV Commentator (voice)