John F. Amodeo
|John F. Amodeo|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 2nd district
January 8, 2008 – January 14, 2014
Serving with Vincent J. Polistina and Chris A. Brown
|Preceded by||Francis J. Blee|
|Succeeded by||Vince Mazzeo|
|Born||August 1, 1950|
|Website||Legislative web page|
John F. Amodeo (born August 1, 1950) is an American Republican politician, who served in the New Jersey General Assembly from January 8, 2008, until January 14, 2014, where he represented the 2nd Legislative District.
Amodeo serves in the Assembly on the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee and the Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 2nd District for the 2012-2013 Legislative Session were:
In the 2013 elections, Amodeo and Brown faced a challenge from Northfield Mayor Vince Mazzeo and Longport Mayor Nick Russo with Mazzeo declared the winner for the second seat, 32 votes ahead of Amodeo. Amodeo filed for a recount after Mazzeo had been declared the winner by a margin of 38 votes among the more than 100,000 ballots cast and conceded to Mazzeo shortly after a month-long process showed Mazzeo ahead by 51 votes.
- Assemblyman Amodeo's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed March 30, 2008.
- Tyrrell, Joe. "Candidates in Atlantic City-Based 2nd District Hope Lady Luck Smiles on Campaigns", NJ Spotlight, October 10, 2013. Accessed January 15, 2014. "Northfield Mayor Vince Mazzeo, who also runs a family grocery, and Longport Mayor Nick Russo, a law- enforcement veteran, match up against Amodeo, a semi-retired crane operator, and Brown, an attorney."
- Rosenberg, Amy S. "Democrat appears winner in close N.J. Assembly race", The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 22, 2012. Accessed January 15, 2014.
- Johnson, Brent. "N.J. Politics Roundup: Override of Christie's pig veto stalls; immigrant tuition bill advances", The Star-Ledger, November 19, 2013. Accessed January 15, 2014. "With all votes counted, Democrat Vince Mazzeo leads the tight state Assembly race in Atlantic County by a mere 32 votes, according to a campaign consultant."
- Harper, Derek. "Assemblyman Amodeo seeks recount in close loss of 2nd District seat", The Press of Atlantic City, November 20, 2013. Accessed January 15, 2014. "Republican Assemblyman John Amodeo formally filed for a recount Wednesday in the race for a 2nd District Assembly seat. He said in court papers the Atlantic County Board of Elections erred in naming Democratic Northfield Mayor Vince Mazzeo a winner.... Certified results show that Mazzeo edged out Amodeo by just 38 votes out of more than 101,000 cast. "
- Khemlani, Anjalee; and Campbell, Braden. "A month after election, Amodeo concedes 2nd District race to Mazzeo", The Press of Atlantic City, December 11, 2013. Accessed January 15, 2014. "Republican Assemblyman John Amodeo formally conceded his election loss to Democrat Vince Mazzeo on Tuesday afternoon, a full month after the general election and following numerous court hearings and a formal recount.... The results certified Tuesday by the Atlantic County Board of Elections showed Mazzeo defeated Amodeo by 51 votes, 25,182 to 25,131."