John F Kennedy Catholic School
|John F Kennedy Catholic School|
|Type||Voluntary aided school|
|Motto||Pacem in terris|
("peace on Earth")
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Department for Education URN||117557 Tables|
|Age||11 to 18|
John F Kennedy Catholic School is a voluntary aided Roman Catholic comprehensive secondary school located in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England. It opened in 1967 and now has a student population of approximately 1100, aged 11 to 18. The headteacher is currently (?). The school's motto is Pacem in terris (peace on Earth).
The school is also part of a local partnership of secondary schools, offering a variety of subject choices for post-16 students, but as of 2020, this partnership is more limited.
Achievements and recognition
The school gained Technology College status in 1998, has received Ofsted inspection reports describing it as "outstanding", and appeared on Ofsted's "honours list". It has also received the following special recognitions:
The secondary school currently has a student population over 170 in 6th form, which is its largest 6th form on record.
Future of the school
- A new teaching block, taking up part of the area where the school's current tennis courts used to be
- 4 new tennis courts on currently unused field area
- A new sports hall in the 'spinney' (a wooded area on the school site)
- A new playground in front of the school's largest teaching block, the 'B Block'
- A new car park to help deal with local parking issues, which will take up the remainder of the current tennis court area
The school has minimised the impact on the local environment by avoiding significant loss of trees. The project also involved the planting of new trees, and using trees which are required to be cut down as wood-chip paths and for the construction of the gazebo-type structure in the so-called 'spinney'.
- John F Kennedy Catholic School, Office for Standards in Education.
- "EduBase – John F Kennedy Catholic School". Department for Education. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "John F Kennedy Roman Catholic School Inspection Report" (PDF). Ofsted. March 2006. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "List of all Technology Colleges". Department for Education and Skills. Archived from the original on 13 February 2007. Retrieved 9 April 2007.
- "'Best of the best' schools listed". BBC News. 7 January 2005. Retrieved 9 April 2007.
- "About Us". John F Kennedy School. Archived from the original on 15 July 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Inspection Report John F Kennedy School" (PDF). Ofsted. May 2000. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 9 April 2007.
- "Run proves fun for JFK as fundraising starts". Hemel Today. 20 March 2007. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Transforming JFK into a school for the 21st Century Archived 30 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine, John F Kennedy School. Retrieved 11 June 2007
- Spinney Management Plan Archived 28 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine, John F Kennedy School. Retrieved 11 June 2007