|John F. Kennedy High School|
890 E. Marquam St.
|School district||Mt. Angel School District|
|Teaching staff||14.03 (FTE)|
|Number of students||195 (2017-18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.90|
|Color(s)||Red, white, and blue |
|Athletics conference||OSAA Tri-River Conference 2A-2|
John F. Kennedy High School is a public school located in Mt. Angel, Oregon, United States, as part of the Mt. Angel School District. The school was originally Mt. Angel Preparatory School run by the Benedictine monks of Mount Angel Abbey, and was founded in 1887. The Benedicitnes ran the school until 1964, when they turned its administration over to St. Mary's Catholic Church, located in Mt. Angel. The parish ran the school for five years until closing it in 1969. It was reopened one year later as John F. Kennedy High School, and remains so today.
As of the 2014–15 school year, there were 180 students enrolled at John F. Kennedy High School. Kennedy's ethnic makeup is 58% Hispanic, 38% Caucasian, and 5% other.
In 2014, 79% of the school's seniors received a high school diploma. Kennedy currently offers five Advanced Placement (AP) courses. The school also began the AVID program at the beginning of the 2015–16 school year.
Kennedy's clubs include:
- Habitat for Humanity
- National Honor Society
- Unidos Para Siempre (UPS)
- Future Farmers of America (FFA)
The school mascot is the Trojan. Kennedy competes in baseball, softball, football, basketball, wrestling, swimming, cross-country, volleyball, track and field, golf, and band. Kennedy is classified as a 2A OSAA team, and is a member of the Tri-River Conference.
The Trojans have won state championships in baseball (2012), girls' track (1985, 2014), girls' basketball (2016, 2018, 2020), girls softball (2018), football (2018), and volleyball (2019). In addition, Kennedy teams have won numerous league championships and placed very highly at the state competition level.
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "John F Kennedy High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- "OSAA - Error".
- JFK High School Archived 2007-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "Mount Angel Abbey". Oregon Encyclopedia.
- Graham, Sandra; Anderson, Bonita (2012). Images of America: Mt. Angel. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7385-9333-3.
- Teresi, Vince (15 May 2015). "Ready to launch: JFK adopts AVID college, career program".