John F. Kennedy Catholic High School (Burien, Washington)
|John F. Kennedy
Catholic High School
|140 South 140th Street
Burien, Washington, (King County) 98168
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Seattle|
|President||Michael L. Prato|
|Campus size||17 acres|
|Color(s)||Scarlet, White and Navy Blue|
|Fight song||Notre Dame|
|Athletics conference||North Puget Sound League 4A|
|Accreditation||Northwest Accreditation Commission |
|Publication||Quest (Literary Magazine)|
|Tuition||$14,688 (domestic), $32,000 (international)|
|Academic Dean||Becky Clark|
|Dean of Campus Life||Katie Burns, Interim|
|Admissions Director||Lori Roedell|
|Athletic Director||Sam Reed|
Kennedy Catholic was established in 1966 and is one of three Diocesan operated high schools in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle. Kennedy Catholic was known as John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, but changed its name with the beginning of the 2009/2010 academic year in order to reflect its Catholic roots.
When in school, students have the opportunity to earn up to 65+ college credits, and are also able to be a part of the Honors Program which includes studies in Religion, the Arts, English, World Languages, Math, Social Studies and Science. All these programs are coordinated through the Aquinas Honors Department at Kennedy Catholic.
- Kennedy Catholic provides college credit classes through four sources: the Seattle University's Matteo Ricci College, the University of Washington, Seattle University, and the Advanced Placement Program.
- See the Course Catalog to learn more about college credit course offered at Kennedy Catholic. http://www.kennedyhs.org/academics/course-catalogues
Mother Theresa Program
MT students take JFK classes as needed.
- Teachers Certified in Special Education
- Low Student/Teacher Ratio
- Speech Therapy
- Diagnostic/Academic Testing
- Direct Instruction
- Social/Study Skills
- Modified Classes in Algebra, Basic Math, Biology, Earth Science, English, Geometry, Life Skills, Practical Law, Spanish, Study Skills, U.S. History, and World History.
- After School Tutoring
- Student Tracking
- SAT Modified Testing
Provides an academic year for foreign students who wish to study in the United States. Students learn the language and culture of the US and have the opportunity to become participants in the school and community. All international students attending Kennedy High School must reside in the dormitory or with a guardian or host family. No student, regardless of age, may reside alone.
Currently there are 85 students from 11 different countries attending Kennedy.
KOOCS (Kids Offering Others Care and Support) - Cook breakfast and visit with the homeless two Saturdays per month.
St. Vincent de Paul Society - Coordinates the JFK Advent Food Drive and Lenten Rice Bowl collection, sponsors projects for the needy with other Catholic high schools, and supports the adopted Mission Church of La Guardia, Bolivia.
Hunger Retreat - Students fast annually from solid food for 24 hours, get pledges for the meals missed, and donate the proceeds to eight South King County groups who help the hungry and homeless.
Human Relations Coordinators - Representatives from each class plan assemblies and programs to further understanding among the various cultures present at JFK. Senior leaders work with the Campus Ministry Office in conflict resolution when necessary.
Relay For Life- Established in the Fall of 2004, the Relay For Life team at Kennedy engages in the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life in the spring of each school year. Typically participating at the Green Lake Relay For Life in Seattle, the team raises money for cancer research throughout the year, selling shirts, baked goods, and car washes. They then present the money to the society at the Relay, an overnight event that occurs annually. The team is typically led by upperclassmen and involves 20-40 members each year.
Kennedy Catholic is part of the Cascade Division of the North Puget Sound League within the WIAA's District 3 (West Central)  and has won 14 State Titles and over 145 League Titles. The Kennedy Lancers football team has produced some NCAA Division I Prospects in the last few years including University of Washington players Nate Williams and Everette Thompson. Their football team has also had University of Washington's former kick returner Paul Arnold as a student.
- Cross Country
- Swim & Dive
- Track & Field
- Water Polo
- Cross Country
- Swim & Dive
- Track & Field
- Kennedy Catholic Singers (Girl's Ensemble)
- Troubadors (Mixed Choir)
- Excalibur (Select Mixed Ensemble)
- Fall Play
- Spring Musical
- Touring Company
- Concert Band
- Jazz Ensemble
- Marching Band
- Symphonic Band
- Chamber Orchestra
- Percussion Ensemble
90% of students participate in a variety of school-sponsored activities/athletics. Students at Kennedy Catholic have the opportunity to be involved in over 40 extracurricular activities.
- Art Club
- ASB - Student Government
- Color Guard
- Cooking Club
- Drill Team
- Digital Photography Club
- History Club
- Humans Relations Club
- Imago (Yearbook)
- International Club
- Knit Wits
- Knowledge Bowl
- Lady Lancers (Girls’ Club)
- Link Crew
- Mahjong Club
- Math Team
- Men's Club
- Pep Club
- Science Club
- Sound & Light Crew
- Indoor Soccer
- Ping Pong
- ASL Honor Society
- French Honor Society
- Latin Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- Quill and Scroll Society
- Spanish Honor Society
- Bolivian Parish Adoption
- Class Retreats
- Eucharist Ministers
- Human Relations
- Hunger Retreat
- KOOCS (Kids Offering Others Care & Support)
- St. Vincent de Paul Society
- Student Liturgy Team
- Floyd Bannister (1973) - Major League Baseball player
- Lizanne Falsetto (1981) - business entrepreneur, wellness expert, model, and public speaker
- Mike Utley (1984) - former NFL player
- Jim Caviezel (1987) - film actor
- J. Michael Diaz (1988) - U.S. Assistant Attorney
- Michelle French (1995) - Olympic silver medalist in soccer (U.S. Team, year 2000)
- Mateo Messina - film and television score composer
- Paul Arnold (1998) - football player
- Joey Thomas (1999) - former NFL player
- Everette Thompson (2008) - former NFL player