John Fielder (born 1950) is an American landscape photographer, nature writer, publisher of over 40 books, and conservationist. He is nationally known for his landscape photography, scenic calendars (which have been published for over 30 years) and for his many coffee table books & travel guides-including Colorado's best-selling Colorado 1870-2000, in which he matches his modern photographs with classic photographs of the same scenes taken in the 19th century by pioneer photographer William Henry Jackson. Fielder has won the Colorado Book Award three times, in 1996, 1997, and 2000.
John Fielder has worked to promote the protection of Colorado open space and wildlands. His photography has influenced people and legislation, earning him recognition including the Sierra Club's Ansel Adams Award in 1993, and in 2011 the Aldo Leopold Foundation’s first Achievement Award given to an individual. He was an original governor-appointed member of the lottery-related Board of Great Outdoors Colorado, and speaks to thousands of people each year to rally support for land use and environmental issues.
- Colorado History Museum: Colorado 1870-2000, then and now, II, September 2005-April 2006, Denver, Colorado
- The Wildlife Experience, permanent exhibit, Parker, Colorado
- Ansel Adams Award for Conservation Photography, 1993
- Colorado Book Award, 1996, 1997, 2000
- National Outdoor Book Award (Design and Artistic Merit), Mountain Ranges of Colorado, 2005
- National Outdoor Book Award (Outdoor Adventure Guidebook), Colorado's Continental Divide Trail, 1998
- Colorado 1870-2000 (2000) Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers ISBN 1-56579-347-1.
- Colorado 1870-2000 II (2005) Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-566-0.
- Colorado 1870-2000 Revisited (2001), coauthored with Thomas J. Noel, Boulder, Colo.: Big Earth Publishing, ISBN 1-56579-389-7, ISBN 978-1-56579-389-7.
- Mountain Ranges of Colorado Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-496-6.
- To Walk in Wilderness (coauthored with T.A. Barron), Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-038-3.
- Along the Colorado Trail (coauthored with M. John Fayhee), Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-010-3.
- Colorado: Lost Places and Forgotten Words Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 0-942394-88-7
- John Fielder’s Best of Colorado Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-429-X.
- The Complete Guide to Colorado’s Wilderness Areas (coauthored with Mark Pearson)
- A Colorado Winter Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-289-0.
- Photographing the Landscape Boulder, Colo.: Westcliffe Publishers, ISBN 1-56579-228-9.
- Colorado Book Awards, PDF file.
- John Fielder: Biography Archived 2008-12-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- National Outdoor Book Award - Master List