John Fischer (golfer)
Fischer in 1934
|Full name||John W. Fischer|
March 10, 1912|
|Died||May 25, 1984(aged 72)|
|Best results in major championships
|U.S. Open||T27: 1932|
|The Open Championship||DNP|
|U.S. Amateur||Won: 1936|
|British Amateur||T33: 1934|
John W. Fischer (March 10, 1912 – May 25, 1984) was an American amateur golfer in the 1930s.
Fischer was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. He won the 1932 NCAA individual golf championship and the Big Ten Conference individual championship in 1932, 1933 and 1935 while playing at the University of Michigan. He also won the 1936 U.S. Amateur.
Fischer was inducted into the University of Michigan Athletic Hall of Honor in 1980 as part of the third induction class. Only one Michigan golfer (Chuck Kocsis) was inducted into the Hall of Honor before Fischer.
- this list may be incomplete
- 1932 NCAA Championship
- 1932 Big Ten Championship
- 1933 Big Ten Championship
- 1935 Big Ten Championship
- 1936 U.S. Amateur
Amateur wins (1)
|1936||U.S. Amateur||37 holes||Jack McLean|
|U.S. Amateur||DNQ||QF M||R16 M||R128||R128||1||SF||DNP||R32||QF||R64||NT||NT||NT||NT||DNQ|
Source for U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur: USGA Championship Database
Source for 1934 British Amateur: The Glasgow Herald, May 24, 1934, pg. 12.
Source for 1938 British Amateur: The Glasgow Herald, May 25, 1938, pg. 21.
M = Medalist
NT = No tournament
DNP = Did not play
DNQ = Did not qualify for match play portion
R128, R64, R32, R16, QF, SF = Round in which player lost in match play
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
U.S. national team appearances
- Walker Cup: 1934 (winners), 1936 (winners), 1938, 1965 (non-playing captain, tie)
- Bentley Historical Library - University of Michigan Athletics History
- 1936 U.S. Amateur - on USGA's official site
- 1934 Walker Cup Match - results
- 1936 Walker Cup Match - results Archived 2012-05-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- 1938 Walker Cup Match - results Archived 2012-05-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- Campbell, Patton On Golf Team