John Flint (businessman)
John Michael Flint
June 1968 (age 50)
|Alma mater||Portsmouth Polytechnic|
|Years active||1989 – present|
|Salary||£2.9 million (2017)|
John Flint was born in June 1968. He was educated at Dhahran Academy and Giggleswick School. Flint grew up in Yorkshire in the early 1970s before moving to Saudi Arabia at the age of 7 where he attended elementary school when his father was a university professor. He returned to Yorkshire to go to boarding school. He earned a bachelor's degree in economics from the Portsmouth Polytechnic.
He joined HSBC in 1989 as international officer, and spent 14 years developing markets in Asia. In 2004, he integrated all of HSBC's investment activities under HSBC Global Asset Management umbrella. In 2006, Flint was promoted Group Treasurer, and Deputy Head of Global Markets and Head of Global Markets MENA in 2008. In 2010, Flint became the CEO of HSBC Global Asset Management. In 2012, he was named chief of staff to the group's CEO, in charge of strategy and planning. In January 2013, Flint became a managing director of HSBC and CEO of retail banking and wealth management (RBWM).
Flint is married, with two children.
Flint competes in triathlon and Ironman competitions.
- "HSBC names insider John Flint as its £2.9m chief executive". standard.co.uk. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Martin Arnold, HSBC picks insider John Flint as chief executive, Ft.com, 12 October 2017
- Jon Yeomans , HSBC names John Flint as new chief executive, Telegraph.co.uk, 12 October 2017
- "John Michael FLINT - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "John Flint - HSBC Holdings plc". HSBC.com. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "HSBC picks insider John Flint to end Stuart Gulliver's toxic reign". This is Money. Retrieved 2018-04-17.
- "HSBC makes what looks to be the safe choice with Flint call". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-04-17. (Subscription required (help)).
- Ruth Sullivan,John Flint: HSBC career man pulls up investment business, Ft.com, 8 August 2010
- Official biography of John Flint, Hsbc.com
- Katy Barnato, HSBC lines up Flint for asset management role, Risk.net, 2 November 2009
- Mark Cobley, HSBC reshuffles senior asset-management ranks, Fnlondon.com, 14 October 2011
- HSBC names new head of retail banking as Thurston retires, Reuters.com, 3 December 2012
- "John Flint: the HSBC lifer who quietly made his way to the top". Financial Times. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
- "HSBC's New Boss Is an Endurance Athlete Who Steers Clear of Twitter". Bloomberg.com. 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2018-04-16.
| Group Chief Executive of HSBC Group
21 February 2018 – present