|Notable works||The View from Rat Lake
Even Brook Trout Get the Blues
|Notable awards||Roderick Haig-Brown Award from US Federation of Fly Fishers|
John Gierach is an American author and freelance writer who formerly resided on the St. Vrain River in Lyons, Colorado and now lives in Larimer County, Colorado. His books are based on his various fly fishing adventures, some of which take place with his friend, A.K. Best. A few of his works include The View from Rat Lake, Even Brook Trout Get the Blues, and the cult classic, Trout Bum, which popularised the term "trout bum".
His work has appeared in Gray's Sporting Journal, Field & Stream, where he is a contributing author, and Fly, Rod, and Reel, where he is an editor at large. He also writes columns for the Longmont Daily Times-Call out of Longmont, Colorado, the monthly Redstone Review, and a monthly column for The New York Times.
Gierach was the 1994 recipient of the US Federation of Fly Fishers Roderick Haig-Brown Award. The award recognizes a fly fishing author whose work embodies the philosophy and spirit of Roderick Haig-Brown, particularly a respect for the ethics and traditions of fly fishing and an understanding of rivers, the inhabitants and their environments.
- Trout Bum
- Even Brook Trout Get the Blues
- The View from Rat Lake
- Where the Trout Are All as Long as Your Leg
- Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing
- Fly-fishing Small Streams
- Fly-fishing the High Country
- Still Life with Brook Trout
- Standing in a River Waving a Stick
- Dances with Trout
- Fishing Bamboo
- Another Lousy Day in Paradise
- At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman
- Good Flies: Favorite Trout Patterns and How They Got That Way
- Signs of Life
- Sex, Death, Taxes, And Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly Fishing Treasury
- Fool's Paradise
- The Fly Fishing Anthology (with Mallory Burton and Ernest Hemingway)
- No Shortage of Good Days
- All Fishermen are Liars
- A Fly Rod of Your Own
- A. K. Best's Fly Box: How to Tie the Master Fly-Tyer's Patterns
- A. K. Best's Advanced Fly Tying: The Proven Methods and Techniques of a Master Professional Fly Tyer--37 Important Patterns
- Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-Tying Materials
- Production Fly Tying - A Collection Of Ideas, Notions, Hints, & Variations On The Techniques Of Fly Tying
- Bie, Tom. "Rodholders: John Gierach". Midcurrent. Archived from the original on 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- "Federation of Flyfishers Awards-Past Recipients". Retrieved 2010-03-30.