|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Chelmsford|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chelmsford|
|Term ended||31 August 2009 (retirement)|
|Other posts||Bishop of Guildford
Provost of Sheffield
30 May 1942 |
Hertford, United Kingdom
|Spouse||Lydia Adam (m. 1981)|
|Alma mater||Churchill College, Cambridge|
Gladwin was born on 30 May 1942 in Hertford, Hertfordshire, England. He was educated at Hertford Grammar School and Churchill College, Cambridge (BA 1965, MA 1968). His ministerial training was at Cranmer Hall, Durham (Diploma in Theology 1969).
He was ordained deacon in 1967, priest in 1968, and bishop in 1994.
Christian engagement with public affairs has been a constant theme throughout his ministry. For six years he was Director of the Shaftesbury Project on Christian Involvement in Society, before becoming Secretary of the Church of England’s Board for Social Responsibility. He was chair of the Ministry Division of the Church of England until 2006.
His work with Christian Aid has taken him around the world, where he has seen at first hand the work of many Christians who are committed to working alongside the world’s most needy people. He served as chair for 10 years, being succeeded in June 2008 by Anne Owers.
As the Bishop of Chelmsford, he has sought to embrace the vast diversity of the second largest diocese in the Church of England. In late 2008 he announced that he would retire on 31 August 2009. On his retirement he became the Chairman of Citizens Advice.
He married Lydia Elizabeth Adam, daughter of the late William Adam and the late Ivy Amelia Adam in 1981. They married in Christchurch, Fulwood in the Diocese of Sheffield. The preacher was Brandon Jackson, Provost of Bradford.
- God’s People in God’s World, 1979
- The Good of the People, 1988
- Love and Liberty, 1997
- Official notification of appointment
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
the Rt Rev J.W. Gladwin, Chairman, Citizen's Advice; Bishop of Chelmsford, 2003–09, 71
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford's Clerical Directory2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Consecration details
- The Guardian, 25 June 2008, "SocietyGuardian" section p.10, Column c "Ins and Outs".
- Debrett's People of Today London,2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
|Church of England titles|
|Provost of Sheffield
|Bishop of Guildford
|Bishop of Chelmsford