John Grider Miller
|John Grider Miller|
|Birth name||John Grider Miller|
August 23, 1935|
|Died||August 31, 2009
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1957-1985|
|Awards||Legion of Merit with "V" Device
Bronze Star (2)
John Grider Miller (born 23 August 1935 in Annapolis, Maryland – died 31 August 2009 in Annapolis, Maryland) was a Colonel in the United States Marine Corps, who served as Managing Editor, of U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings and of Naval History.
After graduating from Yale in 1957, Miller was commissioned in the Marine Corps. He was an infantry officer, commanded a U. S. Marine battalion, and served as an advisor to the Republic of Vietnam Marine Corps during the Vietnam War. Later in his career, he was Deputy Director of the Marine Corps' History and Museums Division and was a speechwriter to three Commandant of the Marine Corps.
He joined the United States Naval Institute staff on 19 September 1985 and served until 31 August 2000, becoming managing editor of Proceedings and Naval History Magazine, the latter of which he had helped to establish in 1988.
|Legion of Merit with "V" Device|
|Bronze Star with one award star|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal|
|Meritorious Service Medal|
|Navy Presidential Unit Citation|
|Navy Unit Commendation|
|National Defense Service Medal|
|Vietnam Service Medal with four service stars|
|Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit award|
|Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation|
|Vietnam Campaign Medal|
- Alfred Thayer Mahan Award for Literary Achievement, 2002.
- Brigadier General Robert L. Denig Memorial Distinguished Performance Award, 2009.
- The Battle to save the Houston, October 1944 to March 1945. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1985; 2000.
- The bridge at Dong Ha. Annapolis, Md.: Naval Institute Press, 1989.
- Punching out: launching a post-military career by Fred Mastin with John Grider Miller. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1994.
- The co-vans: U.S. Marine advisors in Vietnam. Annapolis, Md.: Naval Institute Press, 2000.