John Griffith Bowen
John Griffith Bowen (born 5 November 1924) is a British playwright and novelist.  He was born in Calcutta, India, studied at the University of Oxford (at Pembroke College and St Antony's College) and worked in publishing, drama and television.
Bowen started writing books in the mid-1950s.
- The Truth Will Not Help Us: Embroidery on an Historical Theme. London, Chatto and Windus, 1956.
- After the Rain. London, Faber, 1958; New York, Ballantine, 1959. A review can be found here
- The Centre of the Green. London, Faber, 1959; New York, McDowellObolensky, 1960.
- Storyboard. London, Faber, 1960. A review & cover text can be found here
- The Birdcage. London, Faber, and New York, Harper, 1962. A review can be found here
- A World Elsewhere. London, Faber, 1965; New York, CowardMcCann, 1967.
- Squeak (1983)
- The McGuffin (1984)
- The Girls: A Story of Village Life. London, Hamish Hamilton, 1986;New York, Atlantic Monthly Press, 1987.
- Fighting Back. London, Hamish Hamilton, 1989.
- The Precious Gift. London, Sinclair Stevenson, 1992.
- No Retreat. London, Sinclair Stevenson, 1994.
In the mid-1960s Bowen switched to writing plays for theatre and television.
- After the Rain (1966), based on his novel
- Play For Today Robin Redbreast (1970)
- A Ghost Story for Christmas The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974)
- Play For Today A Photograph (1977)
- A Ghost Story for Christmas The Ice House (1978)
- ITV Sunday Night Thriller Dark Secret (Pts 1 & 2) (1981)
- Hetty Wainthrop Investigates (1995)
- Hetty Wainthrop: Woman of the Year (1996)