John Gwynn (priest)
He was born on 28 August 1827 and educated at Trinity College, Dublin, becoming a Fellow in 1853. In 1856 he became Warden of St Columba's College, Dublin. In 1863 he became Rector of Ramelton. He was Dean of Raphoe from 1873 to 1882 when he became Dean of Derry, a post he held for only one year. In 1883 he returned to Trinity as a lecturer in Divinity (academic discipline). An expert in the Syriac language, he was made Regius Professor in 1888.
He died on 3 April 1917.
- “A New History of Ireland” Moody,T.W; Martin,F.X; Byrne,F.J;Cosgrove,A: Oxford, OUP, 1976 ISBN 0-19-821745-5
- The Clerical Directory, London, Crockfords, 1872
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- THE CHURCH OF IRELAND . The Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Ireland), Tuesday, October 23, 1888; Issue 22869
- Death Of Dr. John Gwynn The Times (London, England), Wednesday, Apr 04, 1917; pg. 9; Issue 41444
|Church of Ireland titles|
Edward Chichester, 4th Marquess of Donegall
|Dean of Raphoe
|Dean of Derry
Andrew Ferguson Smyly