John H. Flood
|John H. Flood|
|Norfolk County, Massachusetts Sheriff|
|Preceded by||Clifford Marshall|
|Succeeded by||Michael G. Bellotti|
|Member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives from the 6th Norfolk District|
|Preceded by||Joseph Semensi|
|Succeeded by||William C. Galvin|
June 24, 1939|
|Died||July 26, 2016
|Political party||Republican (1995–2016)
|Alma mater||Suffolk University
Suffolk University Law School
John H. Flood (June 24, 1939 – July 26, 2016) was an American politician who was Sheriff of Norfolk County, Massachusetts from 1996 to 1999 and a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives from 1981 to 1991.
In 1990, Flood was a candidate for Governor of Massachusetts. His campaign came to an end at the Democratic Convention when he failed to get the 15% necessary to appear on the primary ballot. During the general election, Flood frequently criticized Democratic nominee John Silber, who went on to lose to Republican William Weld. Weld later named Flood to his transition team.
In 1996, Flood was appointed by Weld to the vacant sheriff's position in Norfolk County. He ran as a Republican for a full term in 1998, but lost to Democrat Michael G. Bellotti. Prior to being appointed sheriff, Flood was a panelist on the WCVB-TV Sunday morning talk show Five on Five. He died on July 26, 2016.
- sof19891990bost#page/132/mode/2up 1991–1992 Public Officers of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Check
- "Massachusetts Dems pick Bellotti for governor at picketed session". Associated Press. June 3, 1990. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Locy, Toni (July 15, 1993). "Governor's Council rejects Food for judgeship". Boston Globe. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Locy, Toni (September 30, 1993). "Flood again denied in bid to be judge Weld foiled in 4-3 Executive Council vote". Boston Globe. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- "Weld Names Flood to Sheriff Post". Worcester Telegram & Gazette. November 21, 1996.
- Massachusetts Election Statistics 1998.
- http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/wickedlocal-walpole/obituary.aspx?pid=180809386. Missing or empty
|This article about a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|