||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
3 May 1947 |
Shepherd's Bush, London, England, UK
John Hamill (born 3 May 1947) is an English actor.
He had previously been a bodybuilder and one of Britain's most popular "physique models" in the late 1960s before turning to acting, studying at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art, and appearing in the stage farce There's a Girl in My Soup.
Hamill’s background as a physiques model, which included cover appearances on several beefcake publications and the occasional 8 mm ‘posing strap’ film, earned him a considerable gay following, which is still visible on the internet today. It would also prove good training for his later nude appearances in David Grant’s sex films and nudity ridden horror titles like Tower of Evil (1972), in which Hamill’s role is synopsized by The Bare Facts Video Guide as “Buns, walking with Penny, then more buns, rolling into the water, dead”. He also appeared as artist Alan Street in a trilogy of British sex comedies, beginning with The Over-Amorous Artist in 1974.
Television appearances included: Crossroads, Space: 1999, The Venturers, 1990, Doctor Who (in the serial The Ribos Operation) and The Professionals. He left acting in the late 1980s, and went on to run a pine furniture shop. His last known TV appearance was in an episode of The Bill in 1989.
- A Dandy in Aspic (1968) - (uncredited)
- Every Home Should Have One (1970) - Porridge Eater #1
- The Beast in the Cellar (1970) - Alan Marlow
- Trog (1970) - Cliff
- No Blade of Grass (1970) - Roger Burnham
- Tower of Evil (1972) - Gary
- Travels with My Aunt (1972) - Crowder's Man
- The National Health (1973) - Kenny
- The Over-Amorous Artist (1974) - Alan Street
- Girls Come First (1975) - Alan Street
- Under the Bed (1977) - Alan Street
- Hardcore (1977) - Daniel
- Mannen i skuggan (1978) - Dan
Keeping the British End Up: Four Decades of Saucy Cinema by Simon Sheridan (fourth edition) (Titan Publishing, London) (2011)
- "John Hamill". BFI.
- "More B Movie Beefcake Actors at Brian's Drive-In Theater". Briansdriveintheater.com. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "The Over-amorous Artist". BFI.
- "John Hamill". TVGuide.com.
- "BBC - Doctor Who Classic Episode Guide - The Ribos Operation - Index". bbc.co.uk.
- "John Hamill". aveleyman.com.
- "The Bill - Season 5, Episode 30: The Visit - TV.com". TV.com. CBS Interactive.
- "The Visit". BFI.