John Hammink, with his Ecuadorian guitar
1 May 1970 |
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Banjo, Contrabass, Fretless Electric bass, Drums, Percussion, Dulcimer, Drum machine, Synthesizer|
|Associated acts||Peter Coon
Hammink was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and graduated from Eastern Michigan University in 1993 with a B.A. in Linguistics. He emigrated to Finland in 1996 to lecture at Jyväskylä and Kajaani Polytechnics, and to Estonia in 2003. As of 2007, he has taught topics related to Product Realization and testing for software and consumer electronics at Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María in Valparaiso, Chile; Escuela Superior Politecnica del Litoral in Guayaquil, Ecuador and has advised startup companies worldwide. As of 2011, he worked at Mozilla, where he led early Quality Assurance efforts on Firefox OS.
In 2008, after a long campaign, he found a company willing to support his work on a managed care system for diabetic patients.
Hammink established a certification program for Voice over IP provider Skype, which aims to measure the quality of the user experience for all facets of hardware and software products that integrate with Skype's open API. The Skype Certification program merges practical application of the Metaphysics of Quality as proposed by Robert M. Pirsig and principles of Software inspection as proposed by Tom Gilb.
He has also toured and recorded extensively as a solo acoustic guitarist, bassist and vocalist with Russian music producer Peter Coon. During 2008 and 2009 John recorded extensively in the now defunct studio called "Studio Höör" with music producer and sound technician Daniel Westin (Now founder and owner of Studio Zero Latency Records). In November 2010, he performed with Vepsian language lineup Jousnen Jarved at Liet minority-language music festival in Lorient, France.
- Robinson, Susan (24 November 1996). "LINGUIST List 7.1663: British vs. American English". linguistlist.org. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Cifuentes, Andrés J. Viveros (2012). "Testimonios". MITE: magister en innovación tecnlógica y emprendimiento (in Spanish). Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Heilmann, Chris (1 December 2011). "State of the Web APIs – an interview with John Hammink". Mozilla Hacks – the Web developer blog. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Kerner, Sean Michael (29 November 2011). "Firefox 11 Gets Vibrator API". InternetNews. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Anthony, Sebastian (30 November 2011). "Mozilla's WebAPI for Firefox takes shape, porn sites quiver in anticipation". ExtremeTech. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Dickler, Jessica (2 September 2009). "Unemployed? How workers can get a job despite a résumé gap - Sep. 2, 2009". CNN Money. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Wolff, Phil (1 January 2006). "Skype Channel Power - Leg 1 - Certification". Skype Journal. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Skype Certification Guru John Hammink Interviewed by Share Skype". Mathaba. 18 October 2005. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "SoundClick artist: John Hammink - World music songwriting that transcends the single band". SoundClick. 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Samples from the Collection – John Hammink". Last.fm. 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Liet International 2010: Jousnen Jarved". YouTube. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 1 August 2012.