John Handley High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|John Handley High School|
|425 Handley Boulevard
Winchester, Virginia 22601
|School type||Endowed Public high school|
|School district||Winchester Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Jason Van Heukelum|
|Enrollment||1300 (2014-15 )|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
4A Conference 21 West
|Rival||James Wood High School
Sherando High School
Millbrook High School
|Location||425 Handley Blvd., Winchester, Virginia|
|Area||40 acres (16 ha)|
|Architect||McCornack, W.R.; Olmsted Brothers|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||98001070|
|Added to NRHP||August 14, 1998|
|Designated VLR||June 17, 1998|
John Handley High School is an endowed public high school located in the city of Winchester, Virginia. It was founded by a grant from Judge John Handley, hence the school mascot, the Judges. Construction on Handley High School started in 1922, and continues to the present day. Recently, the school completed the final phase of its multimillion-dollar renovation with the addition of an 8-lane track and a turf football field. The school is planning renovations to its tennis courts in the upcoming years, due in part to the girls' three-peat state champions. In 1998, Handley was placed on the list of the National Register of Historic Places.
Handley has many AP classes: AP World History, AP US History, AP Government & Politics, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP German Language, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Latin, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC.
Handley supports a winning athletics department. The Boys' Outdoor Track Team has a tradition of excellent runners, winning a VHSL-record seven titles from 1935-41. Since 1948, John Handley High School has won a VHSL-record eight boys' titles, its last Group AA championship coming in 1993. The 1999 Baseball team won the program's 1st and only state title with a 25-1 record. The baseball program had a two-year record of 46-4 during 1999 and 2000 seasons. The Girls' Tennis Team is now a three-peat state championship team, placing first in VA AA state in 2007, 2008, and now 2009. In 2009, the Boys' Basketball team finished as Regional II Champions. The 2009-2010 football team beat Kettle Run 31-0 in their homecoming game in October 2009. The 2009-2010 Handley football team went 12-1 for their whole season ending at the state semifinal in 2009, losing to Bruton High School 10-7 after two missed field goal attempts. The 2010 Boys' Varsity Soccer finished undefeated in the Northwestern District, and place first in the District championship, but loss in the first round of Regional play to Potomac Falls by the score of 2-1.
- Brian Partlow - Arena Football League offensive ccordinator of AFL's Cleveland Gladiators, formerly with Austin Wranglers and 2005 AFL champion Colorado Crush
- Lang Campbell - NFL Europe and Arena Football League quarterback
- Patsy Cline - country music singer
- John Gilkerson - Carolina RailHawks FC defender, former New York Red Bull
- Jon Huertas - actor on Castle (TV series)
- Gibb Droll - guitarist with Keller Williams and the WMD's among other bands
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "School Report Card" (PDF). Virginia Department of Education. Retrieved 2009-05-20.