John Harmer (bishop)
|Bishop of Rochester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Rochester|
|Other posts||Bishop of Adelaide (1895–1905)|
|Consecration||23 May 1895, Westminster Abbey|
|Born||11 August 1856|
|Died||9 March 1944
|Residence||Bishop's Court, Adelaide
& Kate Kitching
|Children||at least one daughter|
|Alma mater||King's College, Cambridge|
Harmer was born into a clerical family (his parents were George Harmer, Vicar of Maisemore, and Kate, née Kitching) and educated at Eton College and King's College, Cambridge. Ordained priest in 1884, he was a curate at Monkwearmouth before becoming Vice-Principal of the Clergy Training School in Cambridge.
From 1892, he was Dean of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge before appointment to the colonial episcopate with his election as Bishop of Adelaide in March 1895. He was consecrated a bishop in Westminster Abbey and 23 May and was enthroned at St Peter's Cathedral, Adelaide on 4 July 1895. In 1905, he was translated back to England when he was elected Bishop of Rochester. He was enthroned at Rochester Cathedral in July 1905 and served for a quarter of a century before his retirement in 1930.
- Mosley, Charles, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes. Wilmington, Delaware, USA: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003. volume 3, page 3676.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography
- Bromley Parish Archived 14 November 2009 on Wayback Machine.
- Sydney Diocesan Directory 1915 Archived 30 May 2008 on Wayback Machine.
- Harmer family website
- The Times, 25 March 1881; p. 10, "The Cambridge Classical Tripos. Cambridge, 24 March"
- The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory, London, Hamilton & Co, 1889
- Who was Who 1897-1990, London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "The Story of the Church in Australia" Symonds,E London, SPCK, 1898
- The Times, Friday, 22 Mar 1895; pg. 11; Issue 34531; col F Ecclesiastical Intelligence.New Bishop of Adelaide
- National Archives
- See Of Rochester Resignation Of The Bishop The Times Thursday, 29 May 1930; pg. 16; Issue 45525; col F
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Adelaide
|Bishop of Rochester