John Harris (bioethicist)
|Born||21 August 1945|
University of Kent (undergraduate)|
Balliol College, Oxford (postgraduate)
University of Kent|
University of Oxford
University of Manchester
City of Birmingham Polytechnic
|Thesis||Violence and negative actions (1976)|
John Morley Harris, FMedSci, FRSA, FRSB (born 21 August 1945), is a British bioethicist and philosopher. He is the Lord Alliance Professor of Bioethics and Director of the Institute for Science, Ethics and Innovation at the University of Manchester.
Harris was educated at the University of Kent gaining a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1966 and Balliol College, Oxford where he was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1976 from the Faculty of Literae Humaniores.
Harris was one of the Founder Directors of the International Association of Bioethics and is a founder member of the Board of the journal Bioethics and a member of the Editorial Board of the Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. He is also the joint Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Medical Ethics. Throughout his career, he has defended broadly libertarian-consequentialist approaches to issues in bioethics.
- Fellow of the United Kingdom Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci) in 2001, the first philosopher to have been elected to Fellowship of the then new National Academy
- Fellow of The Royal Society of Arts in 2006
- Member of the Romanian Academy of Medical Sciences, 1994
- Medal of the University of Helsinki, 1995
- Honorary Member of The International Forum for Biophilosophy, 2001
- Fellow of The Hastings Centre, 2004
- D.Litt (Honoris Causa,) University of Kent, 2010
- "HARRIS, Prof. John Morley". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press.(subscription required)
- Harris, J.; Sulston, J. (2004). "Opinion: Genetic equity". Nature Reviews Genetics. 5 (10): 796–800. doi:10.1038/nrg1454. PMID 15510171.
- "People". Institute for Science, Ethics and Innovation.
- Harris, J. (2007). "Interview with John Harris". Rejuvenation Research. 10 (1): 107–111. doi:10.1089/rej.2006.9093. PMID 17378758.
- Brassington, I. (2007). "John Harris' Argument for a Duty to Research". Bioethics. 21 (3): 160–168. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8519.2007.00539.x. PMID 17845487.
- Harris, John Morley (1976). Violence and negative actions (PhD thesis). University of Oxford.
- "Editorial Board". Journal of Medical Ethics.
- Watts, G. (2007). "John Harris: Leading libertarian bioethicist". The Lancet. 370 (9596): 1411. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61595-5. PMID 17950853.
- Harris, John (2010). Enhancing Evolution: The Ethical Case for Making Better People (New in Paper) (Science Essentials). Princeton, N.J: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-14816-3.
- Bioethics Oxford Readings in Philosophy Series. (2001) ISBN 978-0-19-875257-8
- Clones, Genes and Immortality: Ethics and the Genetics Revolution (1998) ISBN 978-0-19-288080-2
- The Value of Life (1985) ISBN 978-0-415-04032-7
- "John Harris CV" (PDF).