John Allan Clinton Hattie Timaru, New Zealand, and has been a professor of education and director of the Melbourne Education Research Institute at the University of Melbourne, Australia, since March 2011. He was previously professor of education at the University of Auckland, the University of North Carolina Greensboro, and the University of Western Australia.(born 1950) was born in
His research interests include performance indicators and evaluation in education, as well as creativity measurement and models of teaching and learning. He is a proponent of evidence based quantitative research methodologies on the influences on student achievement. He led the team that created the Assessment Tools for Teaching and Learning research and development contract and which is currently deployed by the New Zealand Ministry of Education for use in schools. Prior to his move to the University of Melbourne, Hattie was a member of the independent advisory group reporting to the New Zealand's Minister of Education on the national standards in reading, writing and maths for all primary school children in New Zealand.
Hattie undertook the largest ever synthesis of meta-analyses of quantitative measures of the effect of different factors on educational outcomes leading to his book Visible Learning. His PhD thesis at the University of Toronto in 1981 was about the detection of uni dimensionality.
He is married to Professor Janet Clinton, also at the University of Melbourne.
- Hattie, John (2008). Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement. NY: Routledge. p. 392. ISBN 978-0-415-47618-8.
- "How to engage in pseudoscience with real data: a criticism of John Hattie's arguments in Visible Learning from the perspective of a statistician". McGill Journal of Education Vol 52, No 1 (2017) Bergeron. 2017. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- Robert Slavin (21 June 2018). "John Hattie is Wrong". Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "Queen's Birthday honours list 2011". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- Hattie, John A. (2008). Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement. ISBN 0-415-47618-6.
- Hattie, John A. (2011). Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning. ISBN 0-415-69015-3.
- Fletcher, Richard B.; Hattie, John A. (2011). Intelligence and Intelligence Testing.
- Bio page at auckland.ac.nz
- Hattie's CV
- Information about John Hattie's "Visible Learning" www.visible-learning.org
- John Hattie's professional development program "Visible Learning Plus" www.visiblelearningplus.com
- Education: What works and what does not, with Professor John Hattie, Bridging the Gaps: A Portal for Curious Minds