Havens joined Morgan Stanley in 1986 as a principal in institutional equity, where he progressed, eventually leading to a five year stint as a Managing Director and Global Head of the Institutional Equity Division from September 2000 to March 30, 2005.
During his time at Morgan Stanley he struck up a personal and business relationship with Vikram Pandit where the two rose through the ranks together. He and Pandit left after being passed over by Philip J. Purcell in 2005, and the two formed Old Lane LP which was in turn was bought by Citigroup in 2007 for $800 million.
At Citi he was the highest paid official in 2009 and 2010 when he was paid more than $9 million per year at a time when Pandit was making only $1 per year as Citi was dealing with bringing the company out of near collapse and was subsidized by $20 billion in Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) funds. In January 2011, he became president and COO a month after Citi paid back its TARP loans. The position had been vacant since 2007.
Prior to his promotion he was CEO of the Institutional Clients Group at Citi. He departed Citi along with CEO Vikram Pandit on the 16th of October, 2012.
In January 2014, Havens was appointed as the non-executive chairman of Napier Park Global Capital, a spin-off firm of Citigroup.
- "Cream of the Crop Gone Sour: America's Troubled CEOs - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News". FOXNews.com. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- Businessweek Executive Profile
- "Exile From Wall Street". The New York Times. 2005-08-21.
- "How Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit Became the Most Powerless Powerful Man on Wall Street - New York Magazine". Nymag.com. 2009-03-09. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "How Purcell Lost His Way". Businessweek.com. 2005-07-11. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- Dash, Eric (2011-01-19). "Citigroup Names John Havens as President and C.O.O. - NYTimes.com". Dealbook.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- The Wall Street Journal http://topics.wsj.com/person/H/john-f-havens/314. Missing or empty
- Sruthi Ramakrishna (15 January 2014). "Citigroup's former COO to join hedge fund spun off from bank". Reuters.
Note: Position vacant 2007-2011