|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Plymouth|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Exeter|
|In office||1996 to 2005|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop in Oxford (2006–2016)|
|Consecration||3 July 1996|
|Born||3 October 1941|
|Died||21 July 2016(aged 74)|
|Parents||Henry & Dorothy|
(m. 1969; d. 2006)
|Alma mater||Worcester College, Oxford|
John Henry Garton (3 October 1941 – 21 July 2016) was a British Anglican bishop and theologian. He was the Principal of Ripon College Cuddesdon from 1986 to 1996, and the suffragan Bishop of Plymouth in the Church of England from 1996 to 2005.
Early life and education
He was ordained in 1969 and began his career as a Chaplain to the Forces. From 1973 until 1976 he was a lecturer at Lincoln Theological College and then Rector of St Peter’s Hillfields. He then spent 10 years as Principal of Ripon College Cuddesdon before his ordination to the episcopate as the Bishop of Plymouth, a position he held from 1996 until 2005, since when he has been an assistant bishop in the Diocese of Oxford.
He died on 21 July 2016 at the age of 74.
- Photograph captioned "Revd Canon JOHN GARTON, Bishop of Plymouth (At Southwark Cathedral after [his] Consecration) ... 03.07.1996 (Accessed 26 April 2014)
- Crockfords Online- accessed 2 December 2008
- Who’s Who 2008 (London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- "St. Peter's Church, Hillfields". www.hillfields.org.uk. Archived from the original on 12 May 2008. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "The Right Reverend John Garton, bishop – obituary". www.telegraph.co.uk. The Telegraph. 29 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Plymouth
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|