John Holland Group
|Joe Barr (CEO)|
|Parent||China Communications Construction Company|
The John Holland Group is a construction, tunnelling, rail, building and services provider with operations in Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia and the Middle East. Headquartered in Melbourne, it is a 100% owned subsidiary of China Communications Construction Company, a Chinese state owned enterprise.
The company was founded in 1949 by John Holland, later Sir John Holland. In 1991 the business was purchased by Janet Holmes à Court's Heytesbury Pty Ltd. In 2000, Leighton Holdings bought a 70% stake in the company, this was increased to 99% in 2004 and 100% in December 2007.
On 1 January 2012, John Holland commenced the operation and maintenance of the New South Wales Regional Network under contract to Transport for New South Wales, comprising 2,700 kilometres of operational freight and passenger rail lines.
In November 2012, John Holland Tunnelling was awarded the International Tunnelling Contractor of the Year, for the Northern Sewerage Project in Melbourne, Victoria.
In March 2014, the business was put up for sale by Group ACS, as part of a business review by the Spanish owners of Leighton Holdings. In December 2014, Leighton Holdings entered a binding agreement for the sale of John Holland to China Communications Construction for $1.15 billion. The sale concluded in 2015. In April 2015, The Federal Government approved the sale.
In June 2016 it was discovered that a new $1.2 billion children's hospital being built by the John Holland Group contained asbestos, in roof panels sourced from China.
- "Australia's Honours". 1973. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Australia's Leighton acquires 70% in John Holland". Asia Times. 25 January 2000. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Who we are". Metro Trains. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Country Rail Contracts". NSW Government. Archived from the original on 31 March 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "John Holland Tunnelling wins International Award". Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Leighton review could see Thiess and John Holland sold, merged Australian Mining 18 March 2014
- John Holland to be acquired by Chinese Communications Construction Company Archived 19 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine. John Holland 12 September 2014
- John Holland Purchase Brings First Large Chinese Construction Company To Oz Business Review Australia
- Leighton to Sell John Holland Unit to Chinese Construction Company Wall Street Journal 11 December 2014
- "Australia approves sale of construction firm John Holland to China". BBC News. 8 April 2015.
- "Asbestos found in new $1.2b Perth children's hospital". News.com.au. Retrieved 15 July 2016.