John Holles, 2nd Earl of Clare
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
John Holles, 2nd Earl of Clare (13 June 1595 – 2 January 1666) was an English nobleman.
- John Holles, died young
- Gilbert Holles, 3rd Earl of Clare (1633–1689)
- Lady Anne Holles (d. October 1707), married Edward Clinton, Lord Clinton
- Lady Elizabeth Holles, married Wentworth FitzGerald, 17th Earl of Kildare
- Lady Arabella Holles, married Sir Edward Rossiter of Somerley
- Lady Susan Holles (c.1641 – bef May 1710), married c.July 1663 Sir John Lort, 2nd Baronet
- Lady Diana Holles, married Harry Bridges of Keynsham
- Lady Penelope Holles (d. 1684), married on 13 April 1667 Sir James Langham, 2nd Baronet
- Lady Eleanor Holles (d. 1711), whose will endowed Lady Eleanor Holles School.
He is buried in St. Mary's Church, Nottingham.
Styled Lord Haughton from 1624, he was member of parliament for East Retford in three parliaments (1623–1626) before succeeding to the peerage in 1637. He took some part in the Civil War, but "he was very often of both parties, and never advantaged either."
Although he had quarreled with Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford, who had married his sister Arabella, he opposed Strafford's impeachment in the House of Lords and, after Parliament sentenced Strafford to death by attainder, pleaded hard with King Charles I for Strafford's life, but without success.
He was made Recorder of Nottingham in 1642.
- Lorimer, Joyce (2004). "Harcourt, Robert (1574/5–1631)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/12241. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "HOLLES, John (1595-1666), of Haughton, Notts. and Chaloner House, Clerkenwell, Mdx.; later of Clare House, Drury Lane, Westminster". The History of Parliament. The History of Parliament Trust. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Stephen, Leslie (1922). Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. p. 1063.
- "Holles pedigree". Archived from the original on 2006-05-04. Retrieved 2006-01-03.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Clare