John Hope, 2nd Earl of Hopetoun
John Hope, 2nd Earl of Hopetoun (7 September 1704 – 12 February 1781) was the son of Charles Hope, 1st Earl of Hopetoun and Lady Henrietta Johnstone.
He married, firstly, Anne Ogilvy, daughter of James Ogilvy, 5th Earl of Findlater and Lady Elizabeth Hay, on 14 September 1733. He married, secondly, Jane Oliphant (died 16 March 1767), daughter of Robert Oliphant, on 30 October 1762. He married, thirdly, Lady Elizabeth Leslie (died 10 April 1788), daughter of Alexander Melville, 5th Earl of Leven and Elizabeth Monypenny, on 10 June 1767.
John Hope succeeded to the title of 2nd Earl of Hopetoun in 1742. In 1747 he was appointed Curator bonis (Trustee in Lunacy) for his half-uncle, the 4th Earl of Annandale and Hartfell.
Children by first marriage
- Elizabeth Hope (born 1739 - died 7 April 1756)
- James Hope-Johnstone, 3rd Earl of Hopetoun (born 23 August 1741 - died 29 May 1817)
- Sophia Hope (born 1759 - died 8 March 1813)
Children by second marriage
- Jane Hope (died 9 June 1829)
- General John Hope, 4th Earl of Hopetoun (born 17 August 1765 - died 27 August 1823)
Children from third marriage
- General Charles Hope (born 16 October 1768 - died 1 July 1828)
- General Sir Alexander Hope (born 2 December 1769 - died 19 May 1837)
- Charlotte Hope (born 1778 - died ????)
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd., 1999), volume 1, page 81.