John Howell (politician)
OBE MP FSA FRGS
|Member of Parliament
27 June 2008
|Preceded by||Boris Johnson|
27 July 1955 |
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh, St John's College, Oxford|
John Michael Howell OBE FSA FRGS (born 27 July 1955) is a British Conservative Party politician and the Member of Parliament (MP) for Henley, having won the seat with an increased share of the vote in the Henley by-election, 2008.
He worked as a tax inspector (1982–1985) for the Inland Revenue (now known as HM Revenue & Customs) before moving into the world of accountancy and consultancy as a tax adviser at Arthur Andersen and Ernst & Young. He became a partner in Ernst & Young in 1990 and was responsible for opening Eastern Europe after the fall of communism.
Howell has been a presenter for BBC World and was a councillor on Oxfordshire County Council from 2004 to 2009. In 2000, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for "services to Export in Central and Eastern Europe."
Following the 2010 General Election, Howell was appointed the Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Leader of the House of Commons and the Lord Privy Seal, then Sir George Young, Bt. MP. He served on the Work and Pensions Select Committee and Justice Committee
In 2012 Howell reported receiving death threats after responding to a question on whether he would be acting try to halt Israeli military actions with a reference to Hamas rocket attacks in an online exchange.
- Settlement and Economy in Neolithic Northern France, British Archaeological Reports, 1983. ISBN 978-0-86054-199-8.
- "John Howell MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Entry, Who's Who, Oxford University Press.
- "About John". John Howell MP. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 1999.
- UK Parliament Biographies - John Howell, OBE MP
- "John Howell". UK Parliament. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "MP’s fear over death threats". Henley Standard. 26 March 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "30 March 2012". Bucks Herald. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Official website
- Henley Conservatives
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Henley