John Hughes (American football)
Hughes with the Cleveland Browns in 2012
|No. 92 – New Orleans Saints|
April 27, 1989 |
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||320 lb (145 kg)|
|High school:||Gahanna (OH) Lincoln|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 3 / Pick: 87|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 10, 2016|
John Hughes III (born April 27, 1989) is an American football defensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted in the third round by the Cleveland Browns in the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at Cincinnati.
High school career
John Hughes attended Gahanna Lincoln High School in Gahanna, Ohio. Hughes played tight end at Gahanna Lincoln and was initially recruited by colleges as either a tight end or defensive end. A three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, Hughes accepted a scholarship from the University of Cincinnati. Hughes is the second player ever to be drafted in the NFL from Gahanna Lincoln. Robert James White was the first in 1953 to the Baltimore Colts.
Hughes accepted a scholarship from the University of Cincinnati, playing defensive tackle for the Bearcats. With his coaches acknowledging his rare combination of size, speed, and power, Hughes switched to defensive tackle upon his arrival at the University of Cincinnati. A four-year contributor and two-year starter for the Bearcats, Hughes became a disruptive force along the defensive line. In his senior season alone, Hughes recorded 12.5 tackles for loss and 5 quarterback sacks. Upon completing his collegiate career, Hughes was awarded the Ray Sheakley Most Improved Leader Award as well as the John Pease Outstanding Lineman Award.
Hughes was invited to the 2012 NFL Combine upon completion of his impressive collegiate career. Hampered by a hamstring injury, Hughes had limited participation at the Combine. Overlooked by many NFL Draft pundits, Hughes drew interest prior to the draft from most of the NFL franchises.
Hughes was drafted 87th overall by the Cleveland Browns in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Hughes has made an early impact in Cleveland and is a major contributor at defensive tackle, starting in two of his first several games. Hughes earned his first professional sack against the Cincinnati Bengals on September 16, 2012.
On March 13, 2015, Hughes signed a four-year, $14.4 million contract extension.
On September 20, 2016, Hughes was released by the Browns.
New England Patriots
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New Orleans Saints
On August 12, 2017, Hughes was signed by the New Orleans Saints. He was released on September 2, 2017. He was re-signed on October 4. He was released by the Saints on November 6 and re-signed on November 8, 2017.
- Cleveland Browns select Cincinnati DT John Hughes with third-round pick, add extra fourth-round pick in deal with Denver
- Fowler, Jeremy (March 13, 2015). "Browns extend DE John Hughes". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 14, 2016.
- "Browns sign QB Charlie Whitehurst, OL Austin Reiter". ClevelandBrowns.com.
- "Patriots sign DL John Hughes; Sign WR Da'Ron Brown to practice squad". Patriots.com. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "Patriots make a series of transactions". Patriots.com. October 1, 2016.
- Smith, Scott (October 3, 2016). "Bucs Add John Hughes to Depleted Line". Buccaneers.com.
- "Bucs Activate Sims, Promote Dye". Buccaneers.com. December 10, 2016.
- Smith, Scott (December 13, 2016). "John Hughes Returns, Major Wright Released". Buccaneers.com.
- "New Orleans Saints announce roster moves". NewOrleansSaints.com. August 12, 2017.
- "New Orleans Saints make 37 roster moves". NewOrleansSaints.com. September 2, 2017.
- Erickson, Joel A. (October 4, 2017). "Saints sign defensive tackle John Hughes". TheAdvocate.com.
- Erickson, Joel A. (November 6, 2017). "Saints claim Bryce Harris off of waivers, release defensive tackle John Hughes". TheAdvocate.com.
- Erickson, Joel, A. (November 8, 2017). "Saints bring back John Hughes, cut John Greco". theadvocate.com. Retrieved November 8, 2017.