John I, Duke of Brittany
|Duke of Brittany|
|Reign||21 October 1221 - 8 October 1286|
|Predecessor||Peter I & Alix|
|Earl of Richmond|
|Predecessor||Peter of Savoy|
|Died||8 October 1286
Château de l'Isle
|Spouse||Blanche of Navarre|
Peter, Lord of Hade
Alix, Countess of Blois
|House||House of Dreux|
|Father||Peter I, Duke of Brittany|
|Mother||Alix, Duchess of Brittany|
John was the eldest of three children born to Duchess Alix and her husband and jure uxoris co-ruler, Duke Peter I. He became duke upon his mother's death in 1221. His father, who had reigned as duke due to his marriage to Alix, ruled as regent until John reached adulthood.
He experienced a number of conflicts with the Bishop of Nantes and the Breton clergy. In 1240, he issued an edict expelling Jews from the duchy and cancelling all debts to them. He joined Louis IX of France in the Eighth Crusade in 1270, and survived the plague that killed the king. The duchy of Brittany experienced a century of peace, beginning with John I and ending with Duke John III's reign in 1341.
Marriage and issue
- John II, Duke of Brittany (1239 – 1305), married Beatrice of England and had issue.
- Peter (1241 – 1268), Lord of Dinan, Hade, Léon, Hennebont and La Roche-Derrien.
- Alix (1243 - 1288), Dame de Pontarcy; married John of Châtillon, Count of Blois.
- Theobald (1245 – 1246), interred in the church abbey of Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys.
- Eleanor (1248 – died young), interred in the church abbey of Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys.
- Nicolas (1249 – 1251), interred in the church abbey of Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys.
- Robert (1251 – 1259), interred in the church abbey of Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys.
|Ancestors of John I, Duke of Brittany|
- Jones, Michael (1988). The Creation of Brittany: A Late Medieval State. London: The Hambledon Press. p. 140. ISBN 9780907628804. OCLC 16805427.
- Jones, Michael (1988). The Creation of Brittany: A Late Medieval State. London: The Hambledon Press. p. 34. ISBN 9780907628804. OCLC 16805427.
- Hallam, Elizabeth M.; Everard, Judith (2001) . Capetian France, 987-1328. London: Longman. p. 273. ISBN 9780582489097. OCLC 6813908.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John I of Brittany.|
John I, Duke of Brittany
Cadet branch of the Capetian DynastyBorn: c. 1217/18 Died: 8 October 1286
|Duke of Brittany
|Peerage of England|
Peter of Savoy
|Earl of Richmond
|This Brittany-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|